This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I send out an alert when a service goes down - see discussion for details

I know how to configure an alert on an node and application but what I need to do is have the alert go out when one of the services goes down that I have configured a SAM template for.   This is one of the areas that I get a bit confused in so I will try to lay this out here.

I have configured a custom SAM template to monitor seven IBM Sterling Integrator services on a server. 

Here is the trigger condition for the alert

pastedImage_0.png

When the server reboots on Sundays it sends out an alert but it send out a link to click on to get the information - it does not list the service that is down.  Is there some way to have this report that the service is down in the email not a link to click that opens up an Orion window?  And if I am missing something with the different alert types let me know I figured there is something I am missing here.   Thanks -Dave

• Can you post a screenshot of the application monitor template?

In the trigger actions for your alert, edit the "Message" portion of the "Send an Email/Page" action. To include a list of application components that are down, warning, or critical, add the ${N=SwisEntity;M=ApplicationAlert.ComponentsWithProblemsFormatted}  macro, like this:

pastedImage_3.png

If you don't want the clickable link to appear, look for ${N=SwisEntity;M=DetailsUrl}>${N=SwisEntity;M=DetailsUrl} in the message body and remove it.

• Here is what my template looks like. I am going to have a look at the alert and what you have above.   Ideally I would like the alert to go out but define what service is down.  Right now it just sends out the generic "service down" with the link to click that opens a page in Orion.  Thanks!

pastedImage_0.png

• Hi martian monster​, milligan has pointed you in the right direction, since you are using a type 'application' alert as mentioned on your post:

1. Under trigger action message your current message would look like the one mentioned below which is popping the URL when alert is fired

1.PNG

2. Click on INSERT VARIABLE and search for 'Component' you would see 6 variables, you could use either of them based on your requirement

2.PNG

3. Components With Problems would pop up only the once which have an issue in the below format (Only the ones that are critical/warning/down) would be seen on the alert

3.PNG

4. Where as Components With Status will show the status of all component monitors in your template, when application template goes red it will pop up all monitors with its current status, one/multiple would be critical/warning/down, in the below example Replication Status is Critical and rest are fine, but yet this variable will pop up all monitors with its status when application status is down

4.PNG

5. Use either of the variables I would suggest you to go with 'Components With Problems'

5.PNG

Hope it helps

• Thank you. I am going to have a look at what you did above and look at it in the alert. 

• I think this is exactly what I was looking for.    Thanks!!!