This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMPwalk is fine but SNMP test fails on web console

Hi Team,

SNMPwalk is fine but  SNMP test fails on web console, please suggest some remediation steps.

Environment: NPM 12.2, NCM 7.7

All mibs are gathered in snmpwalk.

This is similar to the below post, but I also need ways to resolve it:

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/244861#244861

• Hi

do you have additional polling engines? If that's the case, make sure you are monitoring the device from the same APE.

If you don't, it might be a case of:

• Complex SNMP community string: sometimes Orion doesn't support some characters on the community string. Try to use one community not so complex (remove !$%^& and similar symbols) and try again
    • Timeout: is the device taking a long time to reply? if so, change the timeout settings in Settings->Polling settings and try again

Raul Gonzalez

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg

• Hi Raul,

SNMP test is failing for every polling engine, and same community string is responding for other devices.

Can it be device specific issue, this is F5, but the issue is not with all F5.

• Does the SNMP community string contain special characters? Or it only contains letters or numbers?

Raul Gonzalez

• It does contain special character and it works on other similar nodes.

• Prashant,

The info you've supplied isn't really enough to fully say that the problem might be.  However, when I have problems I usually role back to the simplest form of monitoring and work my way up from there.

Possible troubleshooting steps -

- Can you successfully do a ICMP only monitor to this node? <tests basic ICMP connectivity to the device in question>

- If fails resolve ICMP issue.

- If successful move on to SNMP v1 (assuming you're using SNMP v2 or v3).  Yes it's not recommended, but roll back to default SNMP settings of public/private. <test basic SNMP communication>

- If fails check the settings on the device and make sure nothing is blocking SNMP.

- If successful, move to away from default and introduce a stronger SNMP v1 community string. Test again. <If basic default works then this a strong SNMP v1 should work if this fails then the issue is with your community sting.  Some OS versions allow special characters while others don't.>

- If successfully, move up to SNMP v2 with stronger community strings. <Test the same as above.>

- If successfully, move up to SNMP v3, if Solarwinds fails at this point you've isolated the issue to SNMP v3 configuration.

I know you said the SNMPwalk is successful, but you'll be surprised how many times I resolved silly issues by stepping back to the simplest monitoring format and working my way up.

• Check the configuration of the device for an ACL attached to the SNMP community string. If there is one make sure that your pollers IP address is permitted for SNMP communication.

• In that case i would recommend to change the community string for a test (use one with no special characters) and try again. If without the special charaters it works, then you know where the issue is.

If it keeps failing I would do a packet capture and see what's going on there.

Raul Gonzalez

• I use the community string public , still it is not responding.

Wireshark shows packet flow while snmpwalk is running, but no packets while I run the snmp test from the web console.

• Thanks Bourlis, I tried the same approach as suggested by you. SNMP walk is responding with v2c, but from web console snmp test is failing with v1 as well. ICMP is fine.

• Thanks Cory, I will check it again , I've come across similar issue on other node.