54 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 4:43 AM by rajasekar

Report showing user who unmanaged elements and muted alerts

patriot

I have found a few threads on a similar subject, but nothing that is exactly what I want. I need a report that shows the following in a single query, or in 2 separate queries if necessary:

1. Nodes CURRENTLY Unmanaged showing when they were unmanaged, when they will be re-managed if available, and WHO did it.

2. List nodes that currently have their alerts muted, also along with who muted the alerts and when.

In each case, I need to be able to filter the report by using a particular node custom property.

Will this be a custom SWQL or SQL report? I cannot see how to include all the needed fields using Manage Reports.

Thanks for any help.

• Re: Report showing user who unmanaged elements and muted alerts
          m-milligan

This SWQL query* will get you a list of all nodes that are currently unmanaged, the unmanage start time, when the node will be re-managed, the most recent occasion when someone unmanaged the node, and the account ID of the user who did it:

Select N.Caption, N.UnManageFrom, N.UnManageUntil, LastUnmanageEvent.TimeLoggedUtc, AE.AccountID  
          from Orion.Nodes N   
          LEFT OUTER JOIN (  
          SELECT NetObjectID, Max(AuditEventID) as [AuditEventID], Max(TimeLoggedUtc) as [TimeLoggedUtc]  
          FROM Orion.AuditingEvents   
          where ActionTypeID=
          (
          SELECT ActionTypeID
          FROM Orion.AuditingActionTypes
          where ActionType = 'Orion.NodeUnmanaged'
          )   
          group by NetObjectID   
          ) AS [LastUnmanageEvent] on LastUnmanageEvent.NetObjectID = N.NodeID  
          LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AE on AE.AuditEventID = LastUnmanageEvent.AuditEventID  
          Where Unmanaged = TRUE   
          ORDER BY N.Caption  

Edited 2018-05-03 to account for variation in Orion.AuditingEvents.ActionTypeID across installations.

Select N.Caption, N.UnManageFrom, N.UnManageUntil, LastUnmanageEvent.TimeLoggedUtc, AE.AccountID  
          from Orion.Nodes N   
          LEFT OUTER JOIN (  
          SELECT NetObjectID, Max(AuditEventID) as [AuditEventID], Max(TimeLoggedUtc) as [TimeLoggedUtc]  
          where ActionTypeID=
          (
          SELECT ActionTypeID
          )   
          group by NetObjectID   
          LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AE on AE.AuditEventID = LastUnmanageEvent.AuditEventID  
          Where Unmanaged = TRUE   
          ORDER BY N.Caption  
              patriot

Thanks for the help m-milligan. I used the SWQL in a custom query resource - one e3ach for unmanaged nodes and muted alerts and am not getting the expected results. I unmanaged three nodes, but only two of them show in the query results. I muted alerts on three nodes and the query is empty. Any ideas how to troubleshoot? Thanks again.

m-milligan

I can't reproduce the discrepancy in muted nodes. Can you check the number of currently muted nodes with this query? It will exclude any muted items that are not nodes.

SELECT ID, EntityUri, SuppressFrom, SuppressUntil
                  FROM Orion.AlertSuppression Supp
                  where Supp.EntityUri like '%NodeID%' and Supp.EntityUri not like '%NodeID%/%'

I'll continue looking at the unmanaged nodes query.

patriot

That query produces an error in the resource. Are there any characters out of place or mis-typed by any chance?

m-milligan

I had a clause in the query that apparently doesn't play nicely with custom query resources. I've corrected my query. Use this:

where Supp.EntityUri like '%NodeID%' and Supp.EntityUri not like '%NodeID%/%'

patriot

Thanks for the update. I removed the 'not like' part at the end of the query and find that it shows the expected nodes (which is all I am interested in for now). Now, how do I include the node name in the muted alerts query?

m-milligan

This includes the node name (N.Caption):

Edited 2018-05-03 to account for variation in Orion.AuditingActionTypes.ActionTypeID across installations.

Select N.Caption, Supp.SuppressFrom, Supp.SuppressUntil, LastMuteEvent.TimeLoggedUtc, AE.AccountID   
                                  from Orion.Nodes N   
                                  INNER JOIN Orion.AlertSuppression Supp on Supp.EntityUri = N.Uri   
                                  LEFT OUTER JOIN (   
                                  where ActionTypeID in (  
                                  SELECT ActionTypeID  
                                  where ActionType = 'Orion.AlertSuppressionAdded'  
                                  or ActionType = 'Orion.AlertSuppressionChanged'  
                                  )   
                                  group by NetObjectID   
                                  ) AS [LastMuteEvent] on LastMuteEvent.NetObjectID = N.NodeID   
                                  LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AE on AE.AuditEventID = LastMuteEvent.AuditEventID   
                                  ORDER BY N.Caption  

patriot

Well... something changed again because going from the brief 3 line query:

where Supp.EntityUri like '%NodeID%'

which works to what you have above... yields a blank result again.

m-milligan

How about this query? This will also get you the currently muted nodes, etc.

Edited 2018-05-03 to account for variation in Orion.AuditingActionTypes.ActionTypeID across installations.

Select N.Caption, Supp.SuppressFrom, Supp.SuppressUntil, LastMuteEvent.TimeLoggedUtc, AE.AccountID   
                                          from Orion.Nodes N   
                                          LEFT OUTER JOIN (   
                                          where ActionTypeID in (  
                                          SELECT ActionTypeID  
                                          )   
                                          group by NetObjectID   
                                          LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.AuditingEvents AE on AE.AuditEventID = LastMuteEvent.AuditEventID   
                                          ORDER BY N.Caption  

patriot

I'm getting data in the query resource now, but any idea why the last three columns are empty?

m-milligan

"SuppressUntil" is empty because no end time was specified when the node was muted. The node will stay muted until it's explicitly un-muted. That's the default behavior if a user just clicks Maintenance Mode - Mute Alerts Now, like this:

The other columns could be empty if the alert had been muted a long time ago and the events had since been purged from Orion.AuditEvents. However, I see the SuppressFrom dates are from today, so I'm assuming you just did these, correct?

Run this query in SWQL Studio and see if the mute events are being logged in there. That's where my query gets that data; if the events are not being logged, the TimeLoggedUtc and AccountID columns will be empty. Do you see a row with a recent timestamp for each node you muted?

where ActionTypeID in (102,103)  

group by NetObjectID  

patriot

If you mean to run the query in Database Manager, I did that after removing the "Orion." in front of AuditingEvents in line 2. However, there were no returned results. Not sure what that means though.

And yes, I muted some alerts and unmanaged some nodes just today for testing. I would have expected to see my user account and the timestamp for when I executed the action.

Strange.

m-milligan

No, I mean run the query in the SWQL Studio application. That's the SWQL equivalent to Database Manager. It should have been installed when you installed Solarwinds.

In this case, running that query in Database Manager (after removing "Orion.") should produce the same result as running it in SWQL Studio. Does the AuditingEvents table contain any rows at all? What do you get with these two queries in Database Manager?

select count('x') from AuditingEvents

select count('x') from AuditingEvents where ActionTypeID in (102,103)

What version of Solarwinds are you running?

patriot

Where is the SWQL Studio? On the Start menu on the Primary polling server?

patriot

The first query gives a result of 980. The second one a result of 0. Hmmm.

m-milligan

OK, that suggests that Solarwinds is not logging auditing events for Alert Suppression (muting). That's why those three columns are empty in the query results - there is no matching data in the table that logs the auditing events.

When you run the query below, what do you get? I wonder if your installation has a Action Type ID for these events.

SELECT ActionTypeID, ActionType, ActionTypeDisplayName
                                                                    where ActionType like '%Suppression%'
                                                                          m-milligan

OK, your installation is using different IDs for those actions. Replace (102,103) in the query I provided with (55,56).

mesverrum

So as an FYI, depending how old someone's instance is, and how many modules they have installed the audit events and regular events tables will have all kinds of different numbers for eventids.  To make a query work in other people's environments I find it is 100% required to write queries with a join to the relevant types tables tables and filter based on the name strings.

As an example, this is my query for unmanaged or muted nodes

SELECT

'Unmanaged' as [Status]

,n.Caption AS [Node]

,tostring(tolocal(n.UnManageFrom)) AS [From]

,case when n.UnManageUntil is null or n.UnManageUntil = '9999-01-01 00:00:00' then 'Not set'

else tostring(tolocal(n.UnManageUntil)) end AS [Until]

,case when n.UnManageUntil is null or n.UnManageUntil = '9999-01-01 00:00:00' then '-'

else tostring(daydiff(getutcdate(), n.unmanageuntil)) end as [Days Left]

,n.DetailsURL AS [_LinkFor_Node]

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusLED AS [_IconFor_Node]

,CASE

WHEN ae.accountID IS NULL THEN 'Audit Log Not Found'

ELSE ae.AccountID

END AS [Account]

FROM

Orion.Nodes n

JOIN (

SELECT rec.NetObjectID, max(rec.timeloggedutc) as recent

FROM Orion.AuditingEvents rec

WHERE rec.auditingactiontype.actiontype = 'Orion.NodeUnmanaged'

group BY rec.NetObjectID) mostrecent ON mostrecent.NetObjectID = n.NodeID

JOIN (

SELECT ae.NetObjectID, ae.AccountID, ae.timeloggedutc

FROM Orion.AuditingEvents ae

WHERE ae.auditingactiontype.actiontype = 'Orion.NodeUnmanaged') ae ON ae.NetObjectID = n.NodeID and ae.timeloggedutc=mostrecent.recent

WHERE n.Status = 9

union all

(SELECT

'Muted' as [Status]

,n.caption

,tostring(tolocal(SuppressFrom)) as [From]

,case when SuppressUntil is null or SuppressUntil = '9999-01-01 00:00:00' then 'Not set'

else tostring(tolocal(SuppressUntil )) end AS [Until]

,case when SuppressUntil is null or SuppressUntil = '9999-01-01 00:00:00' then '-'

else tostring(daydiff(getutcdate(), asup.SuppressUntil)) end as [Days Left]

,n.DetailsURL AS [_LinkFor_Node]

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusLED AS [_IconFor_Node]

, ae.AccountID AS [Account]

FROM Orion.AlertSuppression asup

join orion.nodes n on asup.entityuri=n.uri

join (

SELECT ae.NetObjectID, max(ae.timeloggedutc) as recent

WHERE ae.auditingactiontype.actiontype in ('Orion.AlertSuppressionChanged','Orion.AlertSuppressionAdded')

group BY ae.netobjectid) mostrecent ON mostrecent.NetObjectID = n.NodeID

join (

SELECT ae.NetObjectID, ae.AccountID, ae.timeloggedutc

WHERE ae.auditingactiontype.actiontype in ('Orion.AlertSuppressionChanged','Orion.AlertSuppressionAdded')

Order BY ae.TimeLoggedUtc desc) ae ON ae.NetObjectID = n.NodeID and ae.timeloggedutc=mostrecent.recent

)

ORDER BY [node] asc, [status] desc

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                  m-milligan

So as an FYI, depending how old someone's instance is, and how many modules they have installed the audit events and regular events tables will have all kinds of different numbers for eventids.  To make a query work in other people's environments I find it is 100% required to write queries with a join to the relevant types tables tables and filter based on the name strings.

Who thought that was a good idea?

(Breathe)

This query will get the muted nodes regardless of what values your particular installation has for those audit event IDs:

from Orion.Nodes N 
                                                                                  LEFT OUTER JOIN ( 
                                                                                  where ActionTypeID in (
                                                                                  SELECT ActionTypeID
                                                                                  ) 
                                                                                  group by NetObjectID 
                                                                                  ORDER BY N.Caption

This query will get the unmanaged nodes regardless of what values your particular installation has for those audit event IDs:

from Orion.Nodes N   
                                                                                  LEFT OUTER JOIN (  
                                                                                  where ActionTypeID=
                                                                                  (
                                                                                  SELECT ActionTypeID
                                                                                  )   
                                                                                  group by NetObjectID   
                                                                                  Where Unmanaged = TRUE   
                                                                                  ORDER BY N.Caption  
                                                              mfanderson01

M,

first thing thank you for sharing your query. I am having an issue with the join statement on the alert suppression table. where are you getting the N.Uri part? I do not see anything with Uri in my nodes table. In fact not finding anything to link the two tables at all

thanks

m-milligan

OK, this query will get you all of the unmanaged nodes. The original query didn't account for nodes that have been unmanaged for a very long time - long enough that the original unmanage event has been purged from Orion.AuditEvents.

Edited 2018-05-03 to account for variation in Orion.AuditingEvents.ActionTypeID across installations.

from Orion.Nodes N   
                                                      LEFT OUTER JOIN (  
                                                      where ActionTypeID=
                                                      (
                                                      SELECT ActionTypeID
                                                      )   
                                                      group by NetObjectID   
                                                      Where Unmanaged = TRUE   
                                                      ORDER BY N.Caption  

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                    rajasekar

Dear team,

I need one query to see the future scheduled unmange activity along with the present unmanage schedule activity

paul326

This is excellent stuff, especially since I'm a n00b with SQL queries. I've been trying to add line to exclude specific N.Caption names to exclude nodes we don't want reported (items to manage but not alert, 100% of the time muted)

This query gets me exactly what I need except excluding caption name that contains 'TST' Any help appreciated.

from Orion.Nodes N

LEFT OUTER JOIN (    

where ActionTypeID in (   

SELECT ActionTypeID   

)

group by NetObjectID    

ORDER BY N.Caption

Results:

NAP-DMZSW-022018-08-22 16:52:46.58NULL2018-08-22 16:52:46.987
                                                      NAP-VLNX-FAZ-012018-08-12 01:28:20.327NULL2018-08-12 01:28:20.78
                                                      pla-esx6-vmw-02.eby-brown.com2018-06-21 16:25:09.177NULL2018-06-21 16:25:09.55
                                                      ROC-FS-C3560CX-SW12018-07-15 00:52:08.097NULL2018-07-15 00:52:08.55
                                                      TST-V2K3-VPK-012018-09-10 20:54:46.093NULL2018-09-10 20:54:46.39
                                                      TST-V2K3-VPK-022018-04-07 21:59:17.117NULL2018-04-07 21:59:17.553
                                                      TST-V2K3-VPK-032018-04-07 21:59:17.553NULL2018-04-07 21:59:18.007
                                                      TST-V2K3-VPK-042018-04-07 21:59:18.007NULL2018-04-07 21:59:18.443

want to exclude anything with 'TST' in the name.

Thanks,

Paul