2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 11:33 AM by amrita1690

How to find the successful service restart attempts

amrita1690

Hi All,

Say, we have an alert action which restarts a windows service, if found stopped. I want to know a way to find those "service restart" attempts and out of which how many were the successful ones and unsuccessful ones.

I think this can be done querying database and have tried hands on it but, not really sure how exactly it  can be done. Also, there could be some better way to do it.

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Re: How to find the successful service restart attempts
          Vinay BY

1. You could enable Event Log Monitoring if you have SAM.

2. If you do not have SAM and if you only have NPM you could add Netperfmon Event log under actions. After the restart action, add escalation level push a wait period then add your new action Netperformon Event log to capture the service status (this would log back to SolarWinds with the status of the service and you could have a reference to this but introduce a wait time for this check) and add some additional text as well for your reference like RESTART ATTEMPT, RESTART SUCCESSFUL/FAILED.

Hope it helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: How to find the successful service restart attempts
              amrita1690

Thanks VInay for the suggestions, it really helps! 

However, this can definitely be done for calculating it in future but what about actions which have already been executed last month and I want to analyse its count and trend.

Can you please suggest a way to do it on the current setup where we neither have enabled Event Log Monitoring nor the Netperfmon. ?

Many Thanks!