33 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 1:20 PM by aLTeReGo

NPM 12.2 - UI Perfomance

shocko

Using 12.2 Latest HF and the performance is horrible in the UI. I use many enterprise apps with web front ends that handle lots of nodes/data and they seems to be able to render much more quickly than seemly trivial pages in NPM. For example, the 'All settings' page regularly takes 3-5 seconds to load. This is slow as it should be just text based html. I've been looking at it with chrome dev tools and lighthouse and its seems the Javascript and general caching is not optimized at all, For example, this near 1 MB javascript library seems to be being repeatedly downloaded:

This also has the header no-cache on it.

I've a support ticket open and its been indicated to me that this is a known issue.

• Re: NPM 12.2 - UI Perfomance
          mad-stevo

I've experienced the very same issue on multiple client sites - 'apolloisolate'. I believe the issue is Perfstack related, seems to be evident on every post-Perfstack instance I have checked and thus it even slows down the Orion Demo site by many seconds per page load. I currently have a support ticket open also. Support have not yet acknowledged to me that this is the issue but based on my findings everything is pointing in the 'apolloisolate' script's direction and I've provided them the associated DevTools Performance jsons to prove it.

Here's the DevTools Performance json I created, detailing the impact of the issue on the Orion Demo: DevTools Timeline Viewer

jxchappell

Same here

Upgraded on 2/23 and performance has been awful since

I just installed a second web server last night on fresh hardware and still have the exact same issue

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              shocko

I can definitely see some of the issues using dev tools in chrome. Solarwinds need get the finger out and comment on this!

aLTeReGo

You are correct that the 'apolloisolate' is not cachable, though it's unrelated to PerfStack. We are investigating this issue now and will be working dillently to address.

shocko

I appreciate that but where is the feedback to the community? I mean we literally are waiting 15 seconds on some pages to load. Spec is not an issue as we are very highly specd. When you say 'we are investigating now' do you mean as of Aug 2018 or where dev aware of this earlier?

aLTeReGo

This issue was only recently brought to our attention but we are investigating. The isolate is less than 1MB in size. For it to cause page load times of 15 seconds, the network bandwidth would need to be roughly 500kbps, which may explain why this wasn't identified sooner. Those accessing the Orion web interface over WAN links will undoubtively experiance much slower performance due to this not being cached.

supportdiehard

I would highly recommend upgrading to NPM 12.3 and you also might check specs below enough cpu cores, RAM and storage because they might have changed since you 1st installed it.  Here is some documentation as well to see what your personal resources should be:

Website performance issues - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Knowledgebase_Internal/SQL_-_Performance…

If you have more than 1 module on Orion Platform please check out below link as well:

Orion multi-module system guidelines for a SolarWinds NPM installation - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                        grantallenby

Its strange it took them till the 29th to start looking into this? Did you log a ticket?

I'm going to follow this closely anyway as we have been plagued by slowness for a while.

shocko

Since we got the product 2 years ago its been incredibly slow. We've logged clals in the past but got nowhere so this time we went through our partner.

shocko

I have updated to latest NPM and perf to my eye is still slow. Things like hitting the 'All Settings' page take 5 8 seconds even after hitting it already (the UI does not seem to cache). I have logged to support for one more go at it but I'm expecting to hear that this is the best we can expect and these page loads times of several seconds are to be expected. That said, one item does jump out. Dumping all my IIS tracing into Splunk shows the following top request URIs over a 48 hr period:

URI                                                                                                  Count        Precent

/orion/rendercontrol.aspx                                                                  31461      20.109043

/Orion/StatusIcon.ashx                                                                      23951    15.308849

/Orion/SEUM/Services/AllTransactionsTree.asmx/IsExpanded        23892    15.271137

/Orion/Login.aspx                                                                              18028    11.523023

/Orion/i18n.ashx                                                                                8149      5.208626

/                                                                                                          5251      3.356301

/Orion/NetPerfMon/NetworkMap.aspx                                              4569      2.920385

/Orion/NetPerfMon/Resources/NodeTree.asmx/GetTreeSection      1980    1.265564

/api/ActiveAlertsOnThisEntity/GetActiveAlerts                                    950      0.607215

/ui/scripts/apolloisolate                                                                      853        0.545215

Haven't even scratched the surface but a few things jump out:

• Logon page hits high and only a few admins
                                • /ui/scripts/apolloisolate seems like poor design. It basically is a ASMX page that generates a 0.8 MB JavaScript file to be downloaded  to the client on multiple pages. Because the URI is query the same JavaScript bundles cannot be cached and we seem to waste a lot of time essentially downloading the same file over and over .....
                                  grantallenby

Sorry I missed this. Is it the web end that's slow? There are so my factors that could slow that down. I'm happy to list a few off for you to check.

Also the above results are very interesting.

Have a look up for Solarwinds Hubble. It should help get you some webpage stats and DB latency stats. Very useful tool.