I benefit from the expertise and training and ideas of others, and I'm hoping this page can be a starting place for folks to share their tips and tricks that make their lives easier.
No item is too simple to include. Please dig into your secret box of obvious / minor / customizations and show off how you've made your network management life easier. Don't worry it's too simple, too specialized, and don't assume everyone knows how to do it already. All levels of people might learn from your special work!
Here's a starter:
Leverage Chrome's Search Engine Options to quickly find Nodes
- I frequently need to find a node's full name, IP address, or NPM node page.
- You COULD
- Log into NPM
- Edit the main View you use by clicking on the top left Pencil
- Click Add Widgets
- Use the search box to search for "Search for Nodes"
- Select the Search for Nodes Widget
- Drag it to a spot in NPM
- Click Done Adding Widgets
- Click Done Editing
- Click in the Search box
- Type in part of the name of a node
- Hit Search
- Repeat steps 9-11 as needed
Or you could build a new Google Chrome Search engine shortcut like this:
- Go to Chrome://settings
- Click Manage Search Engines
- Click Add
- Enter in a name for your search engine. I recommend making it as short and intuitive as possible. In this example I'll use "npm". This is particularly useful for me because I made an FQDN for my main Solarwinds instance, and then added a CNAME on my internal DNS to it that is simply "npm".
- Use "npm" as the keyword in the second field.
- Type in this URL, (modified for your own Solarwinds' server's name by replacing "npm" with your server's name--or probably even its IP address): https://npm/Orion/NetPerfMon/Resources/NodeSearchResults.aspx?Property=Caption&SearchText=%s&ResourceID=9
- Click Save
Now use your new shortcut:
- With Chrome open, type "npm" (without the double-quotation marks) into the url and hit Tab. A new search engine opens up.
2. Type any part of your node's name into it and hit Enter. VOILA!
I hate to classify this in Thwack's Cool & Geeky section; few folks will see it there.
If you have some Cool & Geeky tips & tricks for ANY part of Solarwinds, I'd love to see them in a response down below.