This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nodes with Mute Alerts set still alerting?

Has anyone else run into this? I've got a whole pile of servers that I'm monitoring up/down status on via ICMP.

I've built a custom property called 'Alert_Policy' and am using that to tie specific servers to specific...well...alert policies. Like letting specific departments know if one of their servers is down, that sort of thing. The alert is pretty simple - if alert_policy = X and server is down for more than Y minutes, send an alert to group Z (depending on which value is set for Alert_Policy); However, it seems like simple muting alerts on a node isn't enough to keep the alerts from coming out.

So I set Mute Alerts on Server A. Server A goes offline, and X minutes later it sends an e-mail to group Z, even though the node is muted.

Is this a bug, or do I just not understand how mute alerts works?

• When i do it i unmanage the device then mute alerts. I dont just mute alerts.

• Here is a description of the documented/ expected behavior:

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Muting_alerts_does_not_stop_execution_of_repeatable_actions

Muting alerts does not stop execution of repeatable actions

Updated March 27th, 2018
    Overview

This article describes the alerting function wherein muting alerts do not work for managed objects if the "Repeat this action every X minutes until the alert is acknowledged" option is checked in the "Configure alert action" page.

Environment

NPM 12.x and UP

Cause

This is by design. The "Mute alert" was intended to prevent additional alerts from triggering, and not to prevent active alerts that have already triggered from performing their repeated alert actions.

Resolution

From the Active Alerts page, find the muted alert and click the "Acknowledge" button to stop the repeating alert action.

• D09h - Thanks for finding that, but that's not quite what I'm posting about. We've already figured out that muting an alert doesn't stop the 'repeat' actions once an alert has already been triggered emoticons_happy.png

What I'm seeing is that these node down alerts appear to be ignoring the 'mute alerts' flag altogether. I'll mute one of these nodes, shut it down, and still get alerts for it. I'm not sure if it's because of how I've built the alert, or if it's because they're ICMP-monitored nodes instead of SNMP-monitored.

• SNMP or ICMP shouldn't make a difference. I would triple check the custom property, and the alert logic. Possibly take some screenshots and post them here. Also look at the generated SWQL query to test how that is working. If all else fails I would consider opening a case and sending in the diagnostics of your SW instance.