This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Dameware 12 only shows blank white screen on some PCs when connecting.

Hello,

I have Dameware 12 and when I try to connect to certain PCs all I see is a blank white screen. At the bottom of the screen it says "Initializing Desktop. Please wait..."

Does anyone have a fix for this?

• what's the OS of the target computer? have you tried lowering the resolution rate of the target computer?

• Hi csssmith​,

Have you successfully remoted into these machines before? If so, have you recently updated DameWare?

This issue could occur for numerous reasons, such as an old Operating System on the target machine, insufficient resources, slow connection speeds, incompatible versions, etc...

Firstly, try connecting to the remote machine and when you get the white screen and message, click on the 'Smart Sizing' icon that looks like this:

example.png from the mini remote bar example.png

If this is unavailable or does not fix the issue, I would then try to modify the DameWare Mini Remote Control registry settings on the remote system, to remove the possibility of a slow connection (unless there's no internet access or firewall blocking the connection, which would obviously be causing an issue), this can be done by adding the following two keys to the Registry Editor. Note that you should always take a note of the change you are making, and a backup of the registry before doing any changes:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DameWare Development\Mini Remote Control Service\Settings, then "Disable WXL"=dword:00000001
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DameWare Development\Mini Remote Control Service\Settings, then "Disable WXL Check"=dword:00000001

If you are unable to make the registry change, or it does not resolve the issue, revert back the setting to what it was beforehand and provide the following details:

• Operating System (OS) of target machine
    • Version of the DameWare agent installed on the target machine
    • Is Windows Firewall enabled
    • Are the target machines on the same network (if not, are any of the connections working externally?)
    • Are the target machines using a VPN

-Midnight