This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

• Server Recovery: If any SolarWinds Server (on which Control M Alert configured) goes down, how to avoid outage in this situations.

Hi All,

Server Recovery: If any SolarWinds Server (on which Control M Alert configured) goes down, how to avoid outage in this situations. We have created VIP (In F5) but due to delay and missing alerts, we have not applied in Production. So, I want to know, do we have set up through which we can bounce the control M Trap messages/Alert on different servers of the Solarwinds?

• Hello,

Im not quite sure i understand what your asking.

Why would Control-M be monitoring your SolarWinds Server?

Or, are you saying that you send your Control-M traps to SolarWinds which then alerts?

We would need to know your environment setup for SolarWinds to get an understanding of what you have and what i can advise on.

Regards,

L.

• Hi Martin,

Yes, my question is "Or, are you saying that you send your Control-M traps to SolarWinds which then alerts?"

So whenever we reboot the Solarwinds server( on which control alerts are mapped, ) for patching or any activities. We have to monitor the manually Control M Jobs. Please suggest me how to create a redundancy for Solarwinds servers.

• er.vansh17091​ I have to configure traps from Control M for alerting as well, what versions are you using? And how did you configure Solarwinds to create alerts based on those traps?

• Hi,

In my environment we do the same thing, i tend to reboot my SolarWinds server for patching etc during the day as we have a team of operators that work with and monitor Control-M from 7am-10pm.

A reboot of SW if its virtual like mine doesn't take any longer than a couple of minutes or so. When SolarWinds is rebooting its just something we live with for a few minutes which isn't an issue for us.

You can use SolarWinds HA functionality if you so wish to create a failover SolarWinds node

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Server_Application_Monitor_(SAM)/SAM_Administrator_Guide/0M0_What_is_High_Availability_in_SolarWinds_products/040_Set_up_an_HA_server

Although i believe there are additional license costs for this.

Thanks

Leigham.

• Im also using Control-M here where i work, we are using Control-M 9 and the latest version of SolarWinds SAM.

One of the core functionalities that the SolarWinds system is missing is being able to alert based on incoming SNMP traps using the alert manager and i have raised this with them plenty of times.

You'll also see lots of feature requests for this which have been ongoing for years but the functionality has never been added to SolarWinds

We ended up developing our own alerting, we have a custom database in which we pull certain information into from SolarWinds via PowerShell using the SolarWinds and BMC Control-M API, do a bunch of magic and that then utilizes our SMS gateway for out of hours SMS alerting.

This isn't the best way or the easiest thing to keep up to date but unfortunately SolarWinds doesn't offer the functionality that we need so we just built our own mechanism.

stevenwhunt​ Maybe you can shed some light on the SNMP trap alerting via alert manager feature? i know people have been crying out for it for a long time including myself when i met you at the VMUG in Birmingham last year.

Regards

L.

• Hi Martin,

Let me explain, what process we are using for control m alerts.:

Control M sends TRAP messages if there are any job failures or if Jobs are delayed. Production-related Trap messages are sent to the SolarWinds Poller XYZ SERVER and the Test Related Trap Messages are sent to Poller ABCD SERVER. Destination of the Trap messages is set at ControlM application level by Control M team. If there are any issues with any of these pollers then the tickets will not be created. In case of permanent failure of these Polling servers, then Control M team need to send the trap message to different Poller, which requires application bounce from their end. SolarWinds Control M scripts are designed to work from any of the NUMBERS OF Pollers, so even if ControlM team changes the server, we don’t need to change any configuration at SolarWinds level. To avoid this issue we setup the VIP for all pollers as swpollers.hersheys.com, but the messages from this VIP was delayed and sometimes it was missing out sending the required information due to this delay, hence the VIP was not used.

But here the problem is that we don't want any outage while performing any kind of activity either patching or server down due to any reason, we want a backup so that if any issues happen on the poller, an alert should be bounce automatically through different poller. Please let me know how can we create a backup or do we have solutions for the same.