This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to alert on vMan Component Volumes?

Environment: vMan Orion 8.1 (no appliance) and Orion 2017.3 with SAM 6.5

Objective: Alert on disk utilization from any VMs managed by vMan.  These VMs are only managed by vMan and not managed by SAM thus the VMs are not managed nodes from Orion perspective. In other words, I like to alert when vMan VM Component Volumes object shows in Red:

pastedImage_0.png

I don't see any option to specify these objects and triggers when building alerts.

Thanks

j

• Your trigger object will be a Virtual machine.  Virtual Machine Volumes show up in the alert building GUI from there.

• Which field do you use?   I can only find Volume Summary Free Capacity and Space.  These attributes are aggregates of all volumes.  In the sample I posted above, a volume is full but the Volume Summary Free Space / % doesn't hit the warning / critical state.  It's not usable to alert when volume level threshold is hit.

j

pastedImage_0.png

• There also another section in there I believe called virtual machine disks or something similar, you might have some luck there.

• Hello,

you can create custom swql alert:

alert.png

SELECT VirtualMachines.Uri, VirtualMachines.DisplayName FROM Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines AS VirtualMachines

JOIN Orion.VIM.VirtualMachineVolumes AS Volumes ON VirtualMachines.VirtualMachineID = Volumes.VirtualMachineID

WHERE Volumes.SpaceUtilization > 50

• Will I be able to extract the offending volume name from the returned query?  Say the system has C: and D: volumes, If C: and D: happen to be over the threshold 50% stated above, I'd like to be able to query the table for more info to share in email notifications.

${N=SWQL;M=SELECT Volumes.MountPoint

FROM Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines AS VM JOIN Orion.VIM.VirtualMachineVolumes AS Volumes ON VM.VirtualMachineID = Volumes.VirtualMachineID

WHERE Volumes.SpaceUtilization > 50 AND VM.VirtualMachineID = ${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID}}

• Well, your query/variable seems working, or do you need also anything else?

• Question #1: The alert does trigger now.  Thanks.   Then how do I obtain the MountPoint, FreeSpace and Capacity of the offending volume that triggered the alert?  Is there any variable I can tap on that came back from this query you showed me?.     I want to include these info in the email alert.

This is the scenario I want to cover - When disk 1 starts filling up and above the threshold, an alert is triggered. Then 2 days later, disk 2 is above then trigger another alert.

• Unfortunately this is not possible. You can create only alert for object Virtual Machine, not for Mount Point. So alert is always triggered for specific Virtual Machine, not for mount point.

To get alert that you want, to get alert for each volume, you would need to monitor all volumes via SAM.

• Actually, it is possible:

This is your alert trigger for a mount point under 10% free (or rather, greater than 90%):

WHERE VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.SpaceUtilization>=90

pastedImage_0.png

Then, for your alert message, you can use the following variables:

The following Virtual Machine has a volume that is low on Free Space:

Virtual Machine: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Name}

Volume Name: ${N=SWQL;M=SELECT VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.MountPoint from Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines as VirtualMachines WHERE VirtualMachines.VirtualMachineID=${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID} AND VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.SpaceUtilization>=90}

Total Capacity: ${N=SWQL;M=SELECT (VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.Capacity)/1073741824 as Capacity from Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines as VirtualMachines WHERE VirtualMachines.VirtualMachineID=${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID} AND VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.SpaceUtilization>=90} GB

Percent Used: ${N=SWQL;M=SELECT VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.SpaceUtilization from Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines as VirtualMachines WHERE VirtualMachines.VirtualMachineID=${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID} AND VirtualMachines.VirtualVolumes.SpaceUtilization>=90} %

pastedImage_1.png

That will give you an alert with a message that passes back the mount point name that is over 90% on a virtual machine.  One caveat is that if there is more than one volume that is over 90% on a virtual machine, the alert should trigger more than once, but the message will be the same in both alerts.

• Awesome.  I ended up doing it this way too. Hope SW will have these functions built-in like how SAM works. Thanks again.