This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Discovery and Application Monitor Question

Hello All,

I have an issue that I was hoping to get some assistance with.  I was able to setup my network discovery.  I scheduled the discovery to automatically import the discovered nodes and automatically setup monitoring.  The job worked fine with one exception.  In the Custom Properties section (when you click on "edit node" of a specific server), there is a field labeled "Environment".  We have the following 3 environments setup in SAM:

KADC

KSDC

KLDC

Our server names are structured in such a way, that they will be added to one of these 3 environments.  For example, server name hostAVname will be added to the KADC environment due to the letters AV in the server name.  hostSVname will be added to the KSDC environment due to the letters SV in the server name.  hostLVname will be added to the KLDC environment due to the letters LV in the server name.

What happens when I run the discovery is that all of the servers are place in an environment named "unknown" and I have to manually place each server in the correct environment.  Is there a way in SAM, via the Network Discovery and subsequent adding of the monitor for the applications, that each server can be automatically added to the appropriate environment based on the server name? 

• Hi, k45bryant it isn't currently possible to define custom properties during the Network Sonar Discovery, there is a Feature Request for this, please feel free to go and upvote it.

There are some workarounds including using a Dynamic Query to populate Groups rather than CP's, or to use SQL Trigger to update the SQL DB directly, or using the Orion SDK.

However, as your grouping condition is very specific I would personally suggest that you set up 3 alerts that search for ANY Node that matches your naming condition and the Trigger action is to update the CP.

The Trigger Condition might look like this:

pastedImage_2.png

Then, Trigger Action like this:

pastedImage_10.png

You would need one for each environment, and you can schedule them or just run manually after an import.

Hope that helps emoticons_wink.png

• Hello David,

Thank you so much for your response.  I will give your suggestion a try. 

• David,

I have an additional question, what will this alert do with the servers whose name meets the trigger, but already has the correct cp?

• It will overwrite any existing value in the CP field with the one set in the Alert. This means any servers that have been incorrectly set will be corrected. However, if you don't want this (maybe there are exceptions that you manually have in a different environment then you could add an additional condition to the Scope that says Node - Custom Property Name (Your Custom Property) - is empty. This will mean it only updates Nodes where the CP is currently empty.

• Also as per your PM - the Auto acknowledgement of the alert, this could be done by setting the Reset condition to 'Reset when this condition is no longer true' which will be the case once it has updated all the CP's. Or, setting the Reset condition to 'Reset Automatically after' this will clear the alert after a set amount of time has passed.

It might also be wise to set a Trigger Action to email you so that you get a notification of any new nodes that match this criteria.

• Thanks again for your help David.  It is much appreciated.

Kenneth