This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Helpdesk - Required Mandatory Fields

I have started configuring our Helpdesk solution to match our custom requirements, however I seem to stuck on one issue.

Within "Ticket Details" I would like to make the "Work Time" & "Billable" text boxes a mandatory requirement .

We are running version 12.5.1

Does anyone have any advice?

• The only workaround that we've come up with for that is to create custom fields (Ticket > Ticket Custom Fields), make those required fields and then assign those fields to each ticket.

Not a very good solution, but I found no other way to do it.

• "Work Time" and "Billable Rate" as required fields is a feature which has been requested by many customers in the past. However, this is not a feature for a good reason.

If these fields were a required, then a new ticket could not be created without having the values of "Work Time" and "Billable Rate".

If you think about it, ticket creation is not when a Technician enters a value for "Work Time" and "Billable Rate"; as the work has not yet been performed.

What would you like to accomplish by making "Work Time" and "Billable Rate" a required field?

If the primary objective is to prevent a Technician from closing a ticket prior to adding "Work Time" and "Billable Rate", this is already possible in Web Help Desk with the use of Action Rules.

Processes (Setup > Processes > Action Rules > New)

Action Rule Info

Criteria

Actions

Enabled [Selected]

Priority [1]

Rule Name:
    Work Time + Cost Required

Description:
    This action rule prevents Tickets without work time and cost from being closed by Technicians.

Cascade [Selected]

Rule Triggering:
    Evaluate criteria...

only when updated by a Tech

When criteria evaluation results in a match, apply action...
    every time

Tickets matching ALL of these conditions:

[No Logic]

... and ANY of these conditions:

[Work Time]
    [≤]
    [0] min.

[Cost]
    [≤]
    [$0.00]

[Change Status]
    [Open]

or

[Change Status]
    [Reopened]

[Assign to]
    [Tech]

[Supervisor]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Isaiah Carriere

Web Help Desk Consultant
    Adeptec: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

LinkedIN: Adeptec

○ Facebook: Adeptec

○ Twitter: @Adeptec

• Could you use an action rule to force entry of time only if a note is added?

We use notes thoroughly but techs forget to add the time taken in and a prompt to do so would help a lot.