9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 1:20 PM by Vinay BY

Sizing of Solarwinds

pratikmehta003

Hi All,

I have gone through couple of threads in forum about sizing but i am still looking for more specific detail.

How do we come to approx for instances where we might have only 2 modules like NPM and SAM having 15k devices spread across different locations. All the different threads talk about how-to size it based on type of license and number of modules. But can we make any assumption based on number of devices?

In my example here having 15k network devices, what hardware specification i can opt for? I am fine with physical or virtual.

• Re: Sizing of Solarwinds
          grantallenby

15k Devices? That's a lot!

I think all polling engines can now go to 20k elements. now be warned 15k devices will have a minimum of id say 50k elements. CPU 1 element, a Disk 1 element, 1 interface 1 element. you get the jist. Most devices will have 10 plus elements. Access switch that you want all interfaces (not sure why) but 24 elements, if its stacked 50 plus. I have some with well over 200.

Really this would be a multi polling engine set up.

Your licencing should be unlimited and I think its SLX requirements which can be found here.... NPM 12.1 system requirements - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

pratikmehta003

grantallenby

Lets say i need to first start with trial version where i am given only 2 servers- 1 for Main poller and 1 for DB. Then in that case what should be my approach? What is the minimum hardware i can go with? It would be definitely above 50GB RAM and other specs in similar lines. But its difficult to arrive at some values for such huge environment.

grantallenby

Well I have successfully ran Solarwinds from 12gb RAM and a quad core. Using a SQL with 16gb Ram and a oldish CPU, but that's with a small set up. With the trials your limited by elements anyway.

Id say 32GB Ram and 8 virtual cores will be more then enough for NPM on a trial version. I mean the beauty of virtual, see it bottle necking just allocate more resource.

grantallenby

You will want beefy back end too.

Here are the SQL spec's... Database server (SQL Server) requirements - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

I would recommend raid 10 and making sure you have separate physical disks for it. 15k minimum but SSD preferable.

This can all be visualised with the Solarwinds core if done right. Raid controller is important, raid set up and disk speed. I see I/O issue a lot when done wrong.

If you are going to be monitoring switches and routers as well, I highly recommend NCM. I know you said SAM, so if its just for severs then WPM is a great addition to any web facing applications

CourtesyIT

This is also some more information for you to start with.  Your may vary but if you can expand each of the resources to find where you need to be.  Consult your admin guides prior. 

Block of 6 sequentially ordered IP Addresses Reserved for Solarwinds

Servers.  Each server listed below is a dedicated server and functions

cannot be combined.

Network should be 1GB Interfaces or better.

CPUs should be 2.7GHZ or better, but prefer 3.0GHz.

Orion Core Server

Windows 2012R2 or Greater

CPU:  4 CPU expandable

RAM: 32GB expandable

C:\OS = 80GB

E:\Programs = 80GB

L:\Logs = 30GB

P:\PageFile = 10GB

W:\Website = 20GB

G:\Webcache = 20GB

Orion NTA Server

RAM: 16GB expandable

L:\Logs = 40GB

SQL Server

SQL Standard

RAM: 32GB expandable (10% Reservered for OS)

E:\Database = 30GB

L:\Logs = 60GB

Additional Poller

L:\Logs = 40GB

Additional Webserver

L:\Logs = 60GB

W:\Website = 40GB

G:\Webcache = 40GB

Vinay BY

Hi pratikmehta003

NPM and SAM together, you gotta plan it accordingly my friend.

Dont completely rely on the threads, get a proper view on the infrastructure that needs to monitored and baseline the requirement accordingly.

To the best of my knowledge, if these folks are working together then its 12K elements (NPM) + 10K component monitors (SAM), SolarWinds does provide 'Stackable Polling Engines'  for NPM&SAM (you wouldn't need an additional VM/Physical Server) you can stack upto 4 Engines on a single box based on your hardware sizing.

But then, you would as well need to consider the regions/locations in your infra, if you have secured zones or something over the WAN, then you might want to have a distributed SolarWinds setup.

Baseline your requirements and glance through 'Scalability_Engine_Guidelines' before you proceed.

Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds Orion Products - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Hope it helps.......

pratikmehta003

vinay.by i agree that i cannot just go with the numbers we discuss here...

What i wanted to know is if we have a blank slate where minimal information is available then what level assumption can be made of. When it comes to Prod, then it completely changes.

And our plan is to start with trial version which is again not our choice but the requestor so that was another point i was keeping in mind for the hardware request.