_Monitor SNMP Nodes Without ICMP Connectivity
Updated 4th July, 2017
This article describes how to monitor SNMP nodes that do not have ICMP connectivity.
- NPM 12.1
Orion generally uses ICMP to determine node status and SNMP to collect statistical information. When you add a node that has SNMP connectivity and ICMP traffic is blocked or disabled, you may encounter an error when adding the node as "SNMP and ICMP."
- Add the device as an "External Node: No Status" device.
- Browse to the newly added node in the web console and click on "Edit Node."
- Set the polling method to "Most Devices: SNMP and ICMP." When you save this, you may be presented with a warning, which can be accepted.
- Browse to node in the web console and click "List Resources."
- Change the "Status & Response Time" to SNMP. This will have Orion poll the device's status via SNMP.
These steps will let you add a node without ICMP connectivity and alter polling to be purely SNMP based polling.