11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 5:02 AM by David Smith

Getting interface down to affect group

jew@energinet.dk

Hi

I am defining some groups of Nodes in NPM to use on a map.

I have a Router and 3 switches in the group and one of the switches has an interface down alert.

But the group status is still up, I have chosen "worst case" in the Group setup so i figured that the Group status would reflect that.

I have attached a screenshot of the group overview.

Regards Jens

• Re: Getting interface down to affect group
          deverts

Jens,

Your group is based on the elements within it. You have 4 nodes in your group, therefore, the group status is based on those. If the status of that switch is to go "red" because an interface is down, that status will then roll up into the group status because it changes the element (node) in the group. Otherwise, you have to add all the interfaces to the group.

D

jew@energinet.dk

So what you are saying is that i have to add the interfaces I'd like to monitor to the group seperately to gain their status on the group icon?

I am currently toying with the alert trigger action "set custom status" to see if I can get a interface down alert to set the whole node in warning, wouldn't that also be a solution?

Regards Jens

deverts

Certainly, there are a few different methods to achieve the goal, but the result is the same. For the Group to show a "red" status, one of the elements (in case "a Router and 3 switches") in the group has to be "red." Your interfaces are not directly part of the group, they are a sub-elements of one of the elements. To explain further, if an interface goes down, you get a "red square" that displays on the router or switch, you don't get a "node down" situation. Your group only has nodes in it, for it to go "red" you need a node down (or element down) situation.

Possible solutions:

1. The method you are exploring with "set custom status" (this is probably the most preferred method by most people)

2. Put the interfaces in the group

3. Set the node status to "worst status" - Caution, this is global setting under Web Console Settings - Child Status Rollup Mode, and impacts EVERYTHING!

There's probably another method or 3 that I'm not thinking of at the moment. Hope this explains more and helps.

D

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                jellobones

I personally would just add the interface in the group.

Changing the node's status to Warning via an alert due to an interface going down would add another unnecessary layer.  So let's say the alert did not trigger and of course that's never happened bafore .  Then you're back to square one.  Second scenario is let's say you're interface is a circuit and it goes down.  You're group status will not reflect the appropriate severity of that outage.  A downed circuit more often that not is more than a warning.

My recommendation is that you add the interface in the group and call it a day.  This will also give you the ability to use the group  for future filters.  Obviously a single interface wouldn't be that big of a deal to add as a filter in a report/alert or dashboard but if you have hundreds or in my case even thousands.  It'll matter then.