3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 10:33 AM by mesverrum

    Does anyone else have issues with nodes missing on the Worldwide Map?


      We have a nightly script that updates the Latitude and Longitude custom properties with the values stored in our CMDB. The process is working fine, but the nodes don't automatically appear on the Worldwide Map resource the way that Solarwinds claims they should. The ones that do manage to show up on their own display as Unknown until you actually click on them. We have over 25k monitored nodes across 8 different servers. There is no way that we are manually going to click on every node that shows up on the map. If this was all our network equipment, I would just remove the resource and write it off as another feature that sounds cool, but was poorly implemented. As it stands though, we are a MSP and our customers have been asking for this feature on their Network Summary pages. I can't give it to them in the broken state that its in, so I'm asking if anyone else has come up with a way to fix this?



      On another server, I have 257 nodes in GA. All of them have Long and Lat set in the custom properties, but the map looks like this:

        • Re: Does anyone else have issues with nodes missing on the Worldwide Map?

          I'd heard that there is a cap of something like 5000 objects on the map, assuming you don't have more than 5k locations you will most likely to have to switch from putting each node on the map to putting the nodes in a group and then using the script to put those groups on the map.  That's the workflow I've used any time I have a client with more than a hand full of locations.  The process can be handled pretty near automatically via scripts and the API. 

          I use the below posh script to automatically make a dynamic group for each site (based on a custom property called sitename), then this post discusses the SQL to autoplace the groups.






          <#------------- CONNECT TO SWIS -------------#>

          # load the snappin if it's not already loaded (step 1)

          if (!(Get-PSSnapin | Where-Object { $_.Name -eq "SwisSnapin" })) {

              Add-PSSnapin "SwisSnapin"


          #define target host and credentials


          $hostname = 'localhost'

          #$user = "admin"

          #$password = "password"

          # create a connection to the SolarWinds API

          #$swis = connect-swis -host $hostname -username $user -password $password -ignoresslerrors

          $swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Trusted


          <#------------- ACTUAL SCRIPT -------------#>


          $query = @"

          select distinct sitename

          from orion.NodesCustomProperties

          left join orion.Container c on c.name = sitename

          where sitenameis not null and sitename not like '' and c.name is null



          #get sitename list

          $sites= get-swisdata $swis $query


          #iterate through list and set group member definition

          foreach($s in $sites)


                  "Creating group for $($s)"

                  $members = @(

              @{ Name = "$s Nodes"; Definition = "filter:/Orion.Nodes[CustomProperties.sitename= '$s']" },


              $groupid = (invoke-swisverb $swis "orion.container" "CreateContainer" @(





              "$s child nodes",


              ([xml]@("<ArrayOfMemberDefinitionInfo xmlns='http://schemas.solarwinds.com/2008/Orion'>",

          [string]($members |% {












          -Marc Netterfield

              Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

            • Re: Does anyone else have issues with nodes missing on the Worldwide Map?

              I have not been able to utilize groups in our NPM environment because the permissions do not work for them. We have several different customers on one server and if I create a group for one of them, all the other customers can see the events for things that happen to that group (members added, members removed etc.). We tried it once and got several customer complaints because it actually shows them the hostname of the device in the event, and they can see that it isn't theirs. They can't click on it to get to the device details page though, so at least the permissions kick in somewhere, but it still causes issues that we just don't need to deal with. Maybe Solarwinds will finally get the permissions working correctly across all their products one day, and we can actually use them. I'm sure everything works fine if you are using NPM to only manage one Enterprise network, but we are forcing multi-tenancy onto a tool that was not made for it.