This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using WHD for More Than One Department Technician Group

We would like to setup WHD so that we can have IT and another department use it. However, we don't want either department seeing the other's tickets. I have created separate department groups, tech groups and permissions and we can still see the other department's tickets even though the settings show that we shouldn't. I also changed the settings in the tech permissions so it's limited by department group. Has anyone tried this and it's been successful for them?

• Have you checked to see if the account type is a tech account (under Setup > Techs > Techs > Account Info) and not an admin account? Just ruling out the obvious because I messed around with these settings at first too and wanted to do the same thing as you but I discovered that if the account type is an admin, it can see everything and the permissions don't matter.

pastedImage_3.png

• Yes. I'm testing with 2 of my help desk staff. I switched their permissions to tech instead of admin. I even created a new tech permissions to play around with the different settings. The only one that worked was limit by tech group. However, it also limited the request types they could access which means I'd have to add them to every single one minus the other department's which would be a pain. It also didn't allow them to see any of the other department groups even though they were members of those groups.

• That's unfortunate, but also good to know as I had thought about trying to do this again but it doesn't seem to be worth the pain. I wish there was a better way to achieve this where it wasn't so limiting to other features.

• I set this up on our demo environment here: Web Help Desk (it will be there till the end of today, than the DB restores).

See, how is Kim Allen configured.

Steps:

created new tech permission and checked "limit by department group" and on the other tab assigned tech to this permission level

created new department group and assigned a few departments to it

assigned the new department group to the tech (under setup -> techs)

log out and log in as Kim Allen

verified, that he does not have access to other tickets

• Hi Milan,

Thanks so much for setting this up on a demo server. I didn't get a chance to look at it. I'm hoping it will still be available today.

Thanks,

Judy

• Hi

I'm using this feature successfully with at present 9 different Tech groups (and shortly a tenth). In my setup each Tech Group has it's own set of request types but they can re-categorize a tickets request type to any other request type. Each tech group can only see it's own tickets. The only thing is if someone is an admin - they can see everyone's tickets by using the search tickets - this has been useful in tracking down tickets mistakenly put in to the wrong request type. Hope this helps!