This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reporting on Parameters in Configs

I have a pretty basic task that I can'f figure out how to do in Orion, and would like some tips and tricks. Basically I want to run a regexp through the configs to find parameters such as logging servers, AS numbers, SNMP strings, trap targets etc.

For example, I want to look for "router bgp 12345" statements. I don't want just a list of devices that have that config, I want a list with a device, and then that statement, or better yet, the parameter itself. Another way of thinking of this is that I want a list of unique AS numbers in the environment. (Or logging servers, or SNMP strings etc.) The use case is for documentation of an unknown network, for finding misconfiguration and anomalies etc.

How would I best accomplish this goal?

• Hello,

What you are looking for is a Job.  While I am not sure about extracting AS numbers specifically, you can configure a Job to run commands on certain devices.  For example, you could run a Job that has 'show ip route bgp' as the command, and the data would be logged to a file you could then aggregate as necessary.  There are some really neat things you can do once you understand more.  More info on Jobs here: Jobs

I hope that helps, and if you have more questions, let me know!

Bryan

• toivo,

Did my last submission answer your question?

Bryan

• Having to run a job, export the resulting log, and then process the results manually will achieve the goal, but Orion really adds no value at that point vs. an expect script, actually the opposite since the latter could easy be automated. It's a good workaround suggestion, thank you, but doesn't really fully fit our needs, I fear.