12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2018 8:15 AM by mark.dangelo

Folders in WHD

azimmerman

We are new to WHD. Trying to figure out how to categorize projects and view them as such. Example; I often have several large projects that are similar in scope. Each project has multiple tasks. I'd like to view the Project as a whole and all tasks associated with it, without seeing every task when I view my tickets. That creates a view with hundreds of tickets and is impossible to sift through. I need a way to have child tickets hidden in that view, perhaps with a carat dropdown to view them on a per-task basis. This has been a very basic feature in other helpdesk software we've tried and is essential for our needs. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious, but have been searching for quite some time and haven't come across what I'm looking for. Thoughts?

• Re: Folders in WHD
          mark.dangelo

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you can narrow down to tickets that meet any kind of search criteria using queries and running them when needed via the drop down.

I have also lobbied for something similar, where you can have additional views next to your my tickets and group ticket views - which you would then be able to categorize by current projects also based on queries. You can vote it up here (Allow customization of the "My tickets," "Group Tickets"..Tech Bar & and the ability to add sections.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              azimmerman

Thank you. This will help but lack of sub-tickets that are nested by a parent ticket is absolutely baffling to me. This is essential in my opinion. Will vote for your feature, looks great.

I've been playing with what you suggested with queries - this may solve another issue I'm having. We have not found a quick easy way to search for tickets. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to let me search from here.

mark.dangelo

From what you have said, I can't quite tell if you already know how to do parent/child tickets or not so I'll explain what we do. We have a few tasks that we set up under Setup > Tickets > Tasks that create a set of tickets once an action is met using action rules. For new user requests, for example, HR puts in a single ticket and then this spawns several children tickets. In the master ticket we can see all of the children tickets (as seen below). The task is kicked off by an action rule (setup > processes > action Rules) that is based on the ticket request type that HR puts in. We also use tasks for scheduled monthly maintenance but it doesn't always have to be a parent/child thing - just depends on how you set it up. If you need more help with it just let me know.

For searching through tickets, I've had good luck with just using the "Request" field and then putting in a key word. Failing that, you can search by client using the last name box - and that works well.

azimmerman

That would be a bit of a workaround, thanks. When using parent/child tickets, the biggest issue we have come across so far is that if I have 50 child tickets for one parent ticket, my entire "My tickets" view becomes worthless... I can't see anything amongst all the clutter of what I'd like to be hidden sub-tickets. Any way around that?

mark.dangelo

100% agree that "My Tickets" would become worthless in that case. I haven't really found a way to hide sub-tickets but that would be a neat feature. Like a drop down as you mentioned. The only possible workarounds that I can think of for clearing up your my tickets (unfortunate that we have to use workarounds for this) are:

(1) You can assign all of the children tickets to have no technician (which would no longer show up in your cue, only the group tickets view). But that would beg the question of how do you then know who has what task.

(2) This really won't help the view issue unless you did #1 first but you can "flag" each of the parent tickets for all of the projects that you have going and then look under flagged tickets for quick access to the projects.  You would also have to click in each parent ticket first to get to the links for the children tickets.

I guess this is just more proof that the way we currently view tickets really needs some feature enhancements (like my feature request above which is gaining traction). I don't think that has been upgraded or changed for years (milan.hulik ).

milan.hulik

Hi Amanda,

do your parent and child tickets have different request types?

If so, simply create a search query, that will list only your parent tickets, based on that request type.

And then use the search query in the "My Tickets" view:

cklecker

Could you use the Ticket Type: Problem/Incident for this? Major Project would be a Problem ticket, and sub tickets to the project be incident?