0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 11:24 AM by trilobite rex

SAM and the art of flying

trilobite rex

My IT world was like trying to fly a plane with no windows through the alps.  You never knew what you were going to walk into on a particular day.  Be it servers down for hardware, ports offline, there was always something that could have been prevented.  As my old band director used to say, “An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure.” In addition to, “if you keep breaking those drum heads, I’m going to suspend you.”  As an organization we couldn’t keep shooting ourselves in the foot, it was then that I suggested SAM and Solarwinds as an alternative.

Any module I have used has allowed the server team to prevent various disasters.  Whether it is SAM allowing us to monitor an application with is crucial to infant care,  monitoring the number of messages that are queued up in the paging software.  Each application alert that is created can help save a life in the medical field.  I’m no doctor, nor do I play one on TV but I feel very strongly that I am helping out those who need it most by creating these monitors.  One of the best things is that you can simulate your alert triggering, so that saves a lot of time drumming your fingers nervously waiting for that alert to catch

I have always recommended Solarwinds wherever I have gone in my employment history.  They may have had different products when I got there (SCOM, Nagios; which are both good), they always have ended up happy with the results from SAM and Solarwinds.  I chose it because it’s how I cut my teeth in monitoring it’s fairly straightforward and easy to configure out of the box. 

Life has improved greatly with the addition of Solarwinds.  My team lead, manager, director are all happy with the monitoring magic that we have been able to accomplish so far.  I feel like there is a better sense of what needs to be done in the environment going forward.   All the application teams are going to want to have their apps monitored in Solarwinds going forward.