This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Specify data retention for a SQL server using mass registration?

Hello...

I have been using DPA for some time now, but recently, we got large number of new licenses and i have to register over 100 new SQL servers.  I can easily do this using the mass registration feature, BUT, one thing I am really struggling with is how i can update two parameters i sent for each SQL Server instance.  Normally after i would do one or two SQL server adds, I would go to Options, Administration, Advanced Options, DB Instance, Select the newly added SQL Server, and then modify the two parms for data retention:

Clean_Days_of_detail: Change from 30 to 14

Trend_Hourly_Days: Change from 90 to 30

i am desperately trying to avoid NOT having to do this for each and every SQL server i have to add.  There has to be a way to set this globally or to specify it when adding the servers?  If not, what other options do i have?

• Assuming you have access to the repo...

Step 1: Do a "select id, name from cond" -- note the newly added instances by ID.

Step 2: update the options for one of the newly added instances (again, note which ID got updated)

Step 3: Do a "select * from condprm where id = <id>" -- <id> being the number from step 2. This should show the udpated options for that monitored instance.

Step 4: Create an insert statement for the rest of the newly registered instances to add these two options for each database id.

Step 5: These will take effect on monitor restart.

HTH