5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2018 8:43 AM by silverbacksays

trail license

rvsouth

The trail license on my NPM expired. I have received a new key to extend trail but can't figure out where to enter the information. The system is not accessible via the internet. All the documentation points to having internet access to enter machine name and download a key. Is there a way to enter a key without having internet access ? rs1618@att.com

Thanks

• Re: trail license
          silverbacksays

Hey rvsouth.

You'll need to have a machine handy which has access to the Orion primary polling engine and the internet. The process is explained here:

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Manually_register_a_SolarWinds_license

You'll need to copy the machine code to the machine with internet access to facilitate the activation via the Customer Portal, and then copy the resulting activation code back to the PPE to complete activation.

rvsouth

Hi SilverBack,

Thanks for your response. The instructions were helpful, though I'm having a problem getting the machine code file to a computer with internet access. That being said, once I get the file on a computer with access it looks like I need a Software ID to be able to create an account on the customer portal. This being a trial copy I'm not aware of a software ID.  Any thought ? Do you know if an account can be created on the customer portal without having a Software ID ?

Thanks for your help  

silverbacksays

If your trial has expired, you cannot resolve the issue, unless you purchase a retail license. When you do purchase a retail license, you will be given instructions on how to access the Customer Portal account linked with the purchase. Once you have access to the customer portal, you should be able to resolve the issue using the instructions in the link I provided

Note that It is possible to get extended trial licences, in some circumstances, but you would need to speak with SolarWinds themselves in order to see if this is possible.

rvsouth

When we first received the trial we got an e-mail from a SW rep with a  key (typed text not a file). From what your saying there is no way to manually type in a key after the software has been loaded, it has to be presented as a file to the SW instance, and the only way to get this file in the correct format is with access to the portal. Is this correct.

Very Helpful

Thanks again.

silverbacksays

Hey rvsouth

Re-reading your original post, it's the extension key that you are attempting to register. As you have a trial license, you probably do not have Customer Portal access as yet, and as your Orion host does not have internet access,  you will not be able to register this new key it in the normal fashion, and am unable to follow the instructions I shared, due to not having Customer Portal access.

What I would do, is contact the rep who sent you the extended key, explain that your trial Orion host does not have internet access, so you would need to register the extended license manually, and he will likely ask you to provide him with the unique machine ID, which can be obtained by following the steps in the link I shared.

So, I would get the machine ID, and keep it to hand, to save you time when the rep asks for it, and keep the link I shared to hand, so you can follow the rest of the instructions when the rep provides you with the activation code, so you can get your Orion trial extended.