This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Powershell to query a service and add multiple nodes

Hello,

I need to create an application to monitor a service "nxlog" but this service belongs to more than 100 computers.

I am wondering what is the easiest way to add those nodes that have that service? Instead of choosing one by one node through the Application wizard  ?

Thanks for your help,

• Create the template, by adding at least one Powershell Component Monitor for your script. Then from the Mgmt apply template to nodes. Select all your nodes. OR Use the option to Apply the Application Template to a Group if all your nodes are in a group already*. You can also use a Service Monitor component (service Status - SNMP or Windows Service Monitor) to do this without PS.  This is a good post for understanding how to manage your Scripts in SW Components, SAM Script Component Monitors - Everything you need to know.  Main thing is each component needs a statistic, and a message detail output.

*This option seems great, but it has not always worked for me. Check your servers after application to make sure that they were all applied. If only the first few in the group now have the app assigned then remove that and use the selection of nodes. Setting up a custom property for your nodes or having a naming syntax that can be used for searches will always help.

Let us know if you need any further help!

-CharlesH

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• Hmm, I created an application template called Service-nxlog. And, i added 17 hosts manually. But, i do not see where to enter the powershell code ? Thanks.

• Dang it, I almost put up screen shots for you.. Sorry I should have went with the instinct.

Edit the template, Add a Component then choose which component you want by name.

pastedImage_0.png

This shot is from adding a component to a new template - but its the same menu option..

pastedImage_1.png

Then choose your type; If you arrange by category name PS shows up under the 'Custom Script Monitors'

pastedImage_2.png

The Windows Service Monitor is under the Windows Component Monitors

pastedImage_3.png

• Ok, got it. should i add just this in the script body ?

Get-Service nxlog

• You need some output for the Component to work;

You should be able to use the script below; just put your service name in the 'Script Arguments' Field within the component.

$ServiceName = $args.get(0);

$ServiceStatus = Get-Service -Name $ServiceName

if ($ServiceStatus.Status -ne "Running")

{

Write-Host "Message: '$ServiceName' service is Not Running."

Write-Host Statistic: 1

exit 0

}

if ($ServiceStatus.Status -eq "running")

{

Write-Host "Message: '$ServiceName' service is Running."

Write-Host Statistic: 0

exit 0

}

• With this script, and exit codes being 0 the component will always be up as long as it works. Set the thresholds to = and place a 1 in the critical, so when the service is not running the component will be marked Critical.

You can set the exit code to 1 (same as the Statistic) and remove the threshold to mark the component down when the service is not running if you prefer a down or do not like using the thresholds to change status.

• Thanks a lot.

Ok got it. But, how do i apply it to the nodes where they have the service ?

Do I have to choose the nodes one by one ?

What if the node does not have the service at all ? If it does not have the service I want it to be ignored.

Thanks again,

• Once you have the template - assign to nodes, or assign to group - note my mention about the groups possible 'issue' in some of the first comments.

you can search, or group your nodes from the assign templates page and select multiple nodes to apply the Application Template to at a single time.

So , sort of yes - you either have to select the full grouping of nodes (by whatever property you group the nodes by) Then use the GREEN ARROW to put them in the right box on the page,  once those nodes are added rearrange your selection or search to find, select and add more nodes to the right using the GREEN ARROW.... then assign credentials to use and apply.

pastedImage_0.png

• Hi Cahunt,

This information is quite a lot useful to me.

Can you help me in knowing if there is a way we can monitor multiple different services on multiple servers, i.e I am having 60 servers with me, and each server is having unique service that needs to be monitored.

Kindly let me know if something is there that could help me out?

Thanks in Advance.

• If you need to you can use the Real Time Process Explorer or the Service Manager from the node details page to fish out the servers with the services you need to monitor. It can be a pain going through them one by one. This is where your application or server team will come in handy as well, especially if they have done some Application Mapping. Even if Application Mapping has not been done, they should be able to tell you which servers are dependent on certain processes.

I would setup a template for each unique setup, then apply accordingly in bulk. Your Arguments in the script will set the services that you need to track with each template.

Sorry for the late reply. Let me know how clear that is to you and if you need more help.