3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 10:13 AM by jew@energinet.dk

Automation of Custom Bandwidth

jew@energinet.dk

Hi All

To support our new NTA installation, I have a little task of defining custom bandwidth on 5 interfaces on approx 290 nodes (Cisco routers).

Needles to say I would hate to do that manually, is there are scripted way I can do it, the interface names are the same mostly (GigabitEthernet0/1.100) and our port descriptions could also be used in identifying the ports.

I could define the bandwidth on the ports but that could have implications on our routing, so I would prefer not to do that.

Any of you experts out there tried this or just have a suggestion?

Regards Jens W

• Re: Automation of Custom Bandwidth
          d09h

Believe you could just do a search in Manage Nodes.  Make your search 'GigabitEthernet0/1.100'

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/385022#385022

Another option especially if you have to set a custom bandwidth on a number of interfaces is to do the following:

Navigate to Settings -> Manage Nodes
              Select the interfaces you need to modify
              Click on Edit Properties
              Select Custom Bandwidth
              Set the transmit bandwidth and receive bandwidth
              Click Submit

• Re: Automation of Custom Bandwidth
            d09h

For the automation part of your question, you might want a group that is defined by having an interface description 'GigabitEthernet0/1.100'.  Then you can modify the group any time and catch newly added devices/ interfaces automatically:

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/orionplatform/content/core-creating-groups-sw2591.htm

**********************************************************************************************************************

•Automatically select group members based on shared properties by clicking Add Dynamic Query and creating conditions.

Click Preview to verify that the dynamic query is selecting the intended objects.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Groups have an inherent functionality for rollup status (best/ worst/ mixed) where the status of members affects the overall up/down/ warning status of the group.  Just know that it exists, whether or not there is benefit in using the groups that way.  You may find a reason to use the group in some new way (a report, a view, an alert) and could leverage the group if desired.