This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to Remove a Node no longer in use And Keep the Latest Configs

Can anyone assist with this?  NPM has a node that no longer exists but I haven't removed it yet because it still contains the last jobs/configs.  I figure before removing the node from NPM and NCM I would need to pull the configs off the web console first.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

• Do you by chance have the NCM "Config-Archive" configured? If so, a copy of all the downloaded config's are placed in that directory and NEVER cleaned up. I have a ton of history. emoticons_happy.png

D

• +1 for that suggestion.  That is what I did on my last job.

I actually configured the archive location to a network storage location and made sure that is in the server admins backup process.  This meant that even if my SolarWinds instance was totally destroyed for any reason, I still had daily configs to refer to if something went wrong in the network.

• Thank you for the feedback.  Looks like I do have configs in this location on the server.  How often do you guys manually purge the older configs for every device?  I guess that would depend on the department but I'm just trying to get an idea on what others do.

• I have 6 years of archives. emoticons_happy.png  The files are not very big, and I have plenty of drive space to accommodate the configs. That said, some are redundant and if I was a powershell guru, I'd create a script that performs a "diff" on the files then deletes anything that is identical; retaining only those with differences. But, I'm not a powershell guru and I have space. emoticons_happy.png

D

• We had a script that deleted anything older than 2-3 years.  We figured the hardware replacement cycle on the network made anything older less useful.

• Before removing a node, you may want to backup the configs to another destination.  Location of the configs are located on your server in this location:

C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\NCM\Config-Archive

Now you remove the node in your web console.  Go to your menu bar:

1) Settings

2) All Settings

3) In the next page click "Manage Nodes"

4) In the next page look for the node you want to remove and check the box next to it.  Then click the "Delete" option.

5) A window will shop up to confirm and then click the "DELETE" button.

Your node is now removed.