4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 9:58 AM by nick.sykes@matrixcare.com

NCM device template - HP1950

ned1

Hello Thwakers,

Did anyone try to create a device template for HP office connect 1950?

The commands for this device are different than any other switch.

I tried to create a device template (when testing the template it is successful) but I am not able to download configuration.

Below is the XML code for this template:

<Configuration-Management Device="Device Name" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.25506.11.1.182">

<Commands>

<Command Name="EnableCommand" Value="xtd-cli-mode${CRLF}Y"/>

<Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value="system-view"/>

<Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="quit"/>

<Command Name="Startup" Value="current-configuration"/>

<Command Name="Running" Value="current-configuration"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="display current-configuration"/>

</Commands>

</Configuration-Management>

Thank you in advance for your support.

• Re: NCM device template - HP1950
          mesverrum

So first question being, would you expect display current-configuration to be the correct commands on that switch.   Assuming that is the case there are basically two steps I use to solve any NCM device template issues i have ever run into.  First, you are likely going to want to turn on session tracing, Generate session trace logs - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

This creates a pretty detailed log of exactly what happens when NCM tries to use your template with the device. 

Next log into your NCM poller that is associated with the node in question and open up a terminal tool like putty and actually step through each of the commands as you have them in your template.  I find that in 3/4 of the cases I see there is an error in syntax that becomes blatant when doing this.  Once you validate that the commands in the template do what you think they should then you can test a download from NCM using the web console, then pop open the trace file it generates and look through the results to try and deduce the part where things go sideways.  The traces are kind of verbose but essentially they show everything that NCM sends to the device, every response the device gives back, and then explains the logic that the tool is trying to use to figure out what to do with those responses.  If you follow these you can find where the error sits, and in most cases Solarwinds support can help you with whatever you find in the trace if you can't figure it out yourself.

nick.sykes@matrixcare.com

Did you ever get this working and would you be willing to share?  I cannot seem to get past the confirmation prompt after issuing the xtd-cli-mode command.

The xtd-cli-mode${CRLF}Y modified you have does not seem to work (it does not actually input the Y at the prompt).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have 13 of these devices that I would LOVE to get under configuration management.

ned1

Hello nick

Yes, I got it working (I can download the configuration) using NCM. Create New device template for NCM using the below:

<Configuration-Management Device="Device Name" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.25506.11.1.182">

<Commands>

<Command Name="EnableCommand" Value="xtd-cli-mode${CRLF}Y"/>

<Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value="system-view"/>

<Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="quit"/>

<Command Name="Startup" Value="current-configuration"/>

<Command Name="Running" Value="current-configuration"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="xtd-cli-mode${CRLF}Y${CRLF}PASSWORD FOR xtd-cli-mode${CRLF}display current-configuration"/>

<Command Name="UseMultipleDownloadCommands" Value="True" />

</Commands>

</Configuration-Management>

Just change the password for xtd-cli-mode and it should work fine.