This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerts and too many Emails

Hi all,

I have created an alert to trigger when specific services (33 of them) go down and come back up, it works great however my manager is not happy that we receive an email for each service.

Is there a way of having one email that reports all the services that have gone down.

I have created a template in SAM for all of the services that need to be monitored then created an alert that goes like this:-

When the Node is equal to 'Shared Services Server'

and

the Node is Not equal to Down

and

the Component is equal to Down

send an email

You can imagine how many emails we get if something goes wrong!

Surely there's got to be a better way

Thanks

Anita

• Hi Anita,

It will be down to the alert itself, I am guessing that the alert is Component based and not Application?

pastedImage_0.png

Try creating a new alert, but this time based of [the] Application and use the overall application status (warning, critical, etc) as the trigger.

There are some nice variables that you can insert into your emails, that will then detail the components at fault, within your application template. 

pastedImage_1.png

Which will take your one email for each component to one email for them all.

• You could change it from a Component alert (when does the service go down) to an Application alert (when does the Application go down) and then use one of the "Components with status..." items in the E-Mail to list each component and whether its currently up or down or whatever.

If they're all running on multiple servers, throw all the components into a group and use a group alert and use the "Group Status Root Cause" item in the alert.

• Thank you so much for your help, this is now working a treat, also the option of component with HTML orders the services into a list which is great when you are alerting on 30+ services.

• Thanks Geoff, I had two separate alerts for two servers however I have created a component group and now one alert serve both :-)