This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Do not alert when Interface contains only a single VLAN

Hello together,

Solarwinds shows me many alerts for interfaces which are down because the the pc's connected to it were shut down.

The Problem is, that there are so many of these alerts that it's hard to identify an urgent interface down:

alerts.PNG

Because of that I tried to modify the alert definition to filter out all alerts on interfaces which do not have a specific VLAN. I want only Interfaces to be filtered which contain only one VLAN, to make sure Uplink ports are not filtered out.

This is how a interface looks like and which field I want to filter:

interface.png

But when modifying the altert definition, I can not find the field "assigned VLANs". I tried that to check if I can filter for a specific VLAN, but it does not work because it delivers also ports with multiple VLAN's:

alert_definition.PNG

I think the problem is, that the field "VLAN Name" is not from the type "interface" but "Node".

But how can I than access the field from the interface object? It must be there otherwise It couldn't be displayed.

I'd be very happy if someone could help me with that!

Regards

Wolfgang

• I now managed to get It working using custom alert SQL Trigger on "Interface". It is not perfect but does the job.

But maybe it can be improved? It works only for Alerts, but not for latest events view...:

Prefilled:

SELECT Interfaces.FullName, Interfaces.InterfaceID FROM Interfaces

WHERE   Interfaces.AdminStatus  =  1

and Interfaces.OperStatus =  2

EXCEPT

SELECT Interfaces.FullName, Interfaces.InterfaceID FROM Interfaces

JOIN [SolarWindsOrion]..[NodePortInterfaceMap] im ON Interfaces.InterfaceIndex = im.IfIndex and Interfaces.NodeID = im.NodeID

WHERE   Interfaces.AdminStatus    =  1

and Interfaces.OperStatus =  2

and im.VlanId > 182

and im.VlanId < 190

and  (Select Count(*) FROM [SolarWindsOrion]..[Interfaces] i2

, [SolarWindsOrion]..[NodePortInterfaceMap] im2

WHERE   i2.AdminStatus       =  1

and i2.OperStatus      =  2

and   i2.InterfaceIndex  =  im2.IfIndex

and   i2.NodeID          =  im2.NodeID

and   i2.InterfaceID =  Interfaces.InterfaceID) = 1

Regards

Wolfgang

• I now found a (for me) even better solution.

Solarwinds gives the user the ability to define ports as "unpluggable" which results in ports no longer showing offline alerts when they're unplugged.

To make this possible with not enabling all the ports by hand I wrote the following SQL Script:

UPDATE [SolarWindsOrion].[dbo].[Interfaces]

SET Unpluggable = 1

FROM Interfaces

JOIN [SolarWindsOrion]..[NodePortInterfaceMap] im ON Interfaces.InterfaceIndex = im.IfIndex and Interfaces.NodeID = im.NodeID

JOIN [SolarWindsOrion]..NodesData nd ON Interfaces.NodeID = nd.NodeID

JOIN [SolarWindsOrion]..NodeVlans nv ON Interfaces.NodeID = nv.NodeID and im.VlanId = nv.VlanId

WHERE   Interfaces.AdminStatus = 1

and Interfaces.UnPluggable = and   (

( im.VlanId > 182

and im.VlanId < 192

)

or im.VlanId = 42

or im.VlanId = 173

)0

and  (Select Count(*) FROM [SolarWindsOrion]..[Interfaces] i2

, [SolarWindsOrion]..[NodePortInterfaceMap] im2

WHERE     i2.AdminStatus       =  1

and   i2.InterfaceIndex  =  im2.IfIndex

and   i2.NodeID          =  im2.NodeID

and   i2.InterfaceID =  Interfaces.InterfaceID) = 1

This script enables the "unpluggable" feature for all ports which contain only a single VLAN from the select statement.

Uplink ports and ports set to shutdown are not affected.