This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Real Time Monitoring of the Nodes and Interface.

Hi,

I am working in the airline head-quarter which have multiple airport all around and which are being monitored by Solarwinds. Since the polling interval of Nodes/Interface (60 Sec) which bring lots of escalation in environment because of slow polling of the interface. we need the real time monitoring.

Please let me know how can we monitor interface and nodes in real time.

• Refer this if it can help.. its not exactly what you are looking for but might work out..

PerfStack - Real-Time Polling - Because Time is The Only Constant

• HI Pratik mehta,

Thanks!

But i want to monitor more than 130 links in real time.

• Well in that case it's bit difficult according to me. Coz if u put that

many on perf stack view then performance issues might pop up.

You can wait for Other folks inputs. OR submit a case to get 100%

confirmation.

• I have submitted this issue to SolarWinds team, SolarWinds development team is working on this issue.

• Do let us know on the solution suggested by support..

• Hi sugreevk01​ the SolarWinds system doesn’t perform real-time polling in that way but you could use SNMP Traps to provide a quicker response for certain conditions and be alerted on them but it still wouldn’t technically be real-time

Another option might be to run an Additional Polling Engine and dedicate it to you critical devices and decrease the polling time on those devices - this will increase load on the engine thus the APE.

Let us know what feedback you get from SW emoticons_happy.png

• Now - I dont know which nodes You are trying to poll in real time with Solarwinds...

But if You "realtime poll" on all nodes, You could end up stressing eg. some types of switches and that would end up in a SNMP downprioritizing on these nodes.

(If they have more relevant things to do, the SNMP will simply be downpriorized)

So keep an eye on the data You actually get out when You are increasing the Polling Rate dramatically from the default setup. Are there any gaps in the historical data?

My experience is that the 60-120 seconds poll is perfect for most environments.

Also remember to tweal the alert conditions so they are reflecting your "realtime" setup - if You end up with a status poll every 30 seconds on the nodes, but the alert trigger is set to check every 5 minutes - it does not help much :-)

• Polling will never be real time.

Since you are monitoring airplanes, I'm assuming you would want as near-real time as possible.  For this scenario, syslogs/traps are the best way to go.  Switches/routers can send traps/syslog if an interface goes down.   If you want more than just interfaces, Cisco devices has Embedded Event Manager (EEM) scripts for real time monitoring.

Thanks

Amit

• +1 for SNMP traps opposed to SNMP polling, which takes the responsibility of polling away from the polling engines (so limited resources can otherwise be used more efficiently)

NTA may be more suitable for realtime monitoring, as the NetFlow protocol is fairly universal and not only supported but optimised by most enterprise grade vendors for switches and other network nodes. It is generally more difficult to configure NetFlow based alerting as you need to generate reliable baselines, cater for known exceptions in traffic patterns, but it is better suited by nature to real time monitoring.

• Might be a case for SolarWinds Log & Event Manager (LEM)