5 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2018 9:44 AM by allnyabi78

Node UP alert; Node DOWN no-alert

mortimersnurd

Newbee here.  Looking for best/easiest way to create a grouping of nodes for which alerts are generated when the node is up/reachable and no alerts when node is down/unreachable.  Would also like to easily and administratively move nodes into and out of this special group.

• Re: Node UP alert; Node DOWN no-alert
          David Smith

Just to clarify, you want an alert when the node is Up? If so then this is a fairly simple reverse of the default Node is down alert but you change the status = to Up, you can filter by custom property or selected nodes in the alert trigger screen.

To disable the down node alert simply go into your alert manager and disable any of the alerts that trigger based on the node being down or unreachable. Again by using a custom property or group you can filter the devices or simply for all nodes.

is it Ok to ask why you would want such a design?

mortimersnurd

Thanks David for responding.  As a newbee, this is an exercise in learning how Solarwinds works.  My assumption is Solarwinds does not poll devices in an "unmanaged" state.  I think I will be creating a custom attribute to help identify these nodes and use it in the alert logic and display views.  These are remote mobile devices that should only be turned up in authorized/emergency situations.  If they come up unexpectedly, it is a security concern.

David Smith

Hi mortimersnurd you are correct if the device is in an unmanaged state then it will not be polled and will not create any alerts or collect any statistical data.

If you are looking for a way to have the devices monitored so that in the event that they become active that you create a specific custom property that you can then use to filter those nodes out of all of your other screens, alerts & reports.

You need to make sure you edit the default Node Down alert (if you have not done this already) to exclude devices with that CP, and then create a new alert specifically for those devices to alert when they are online.

Hope that helps.

allnyabi78

Hi David,

I can't speak for original poster, but we are looking at doing the same thing.

We have a server that we can not decom, for reasons above my pay grade, but need to know when it powers on because we have to powercycle it down or it causes issues with our certs.