33 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 1:10 PM by tony.serpa

Offline orion installation...really?

tony.serpa

Hello,

I am attempting SW Orion NPM upgrades to NPM 12.2 in order to remediate STIG vulnerability ID  V-41036. Unfortunately, all of the servers this needs to performed on are in fact not internet accessible. So, First I downloaded the Solarwinds-Orion-NPM-12.2-OfflineInstaller.exe. Ok right? not so much and a couple of interesting discoveries. Strangely, when I run this virgin absolute latest (from what I can tell) offline installer. one of the first screens of it it that "a new installer is available and it wants to download. How is that since I just downloaded it from the customer portal??Dunno. anyways, I chose to skip this and proceed... a little confusing but OK I've seen stranger things. the the installer wizard runs a series of pre-deployment tests. Here's the meat of my post purpose. The test results are shown with "No internet connection detected. Installation cannot continue"...can't seem to skip past this. Also, for some odd reason, the installer discovers that I also have NCM and UDT installed, lists them as some "manual upgrades are necessary" (for NCM) and insists on doing so. I am not seeing a way I can De-Select these and simply continue with NPM only. Ultimately, the installer cannot continue and actually claims "download the offline installer" and gives me a link...so what the heck, I do it again and again. this time I downloaded the Solarwinds-Orion-OfflineInstaller.exe, which appears to be the exact 2.7GB painful download and results the exact same way... So will you help a fellow American out who's down on his luck?...can anyone shed some light on this situation? ALL and ANY Feedback will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance, Tony

• Re: Offline orion installation...really?
          David Smith

Hi Tony,

What version of software are you currently running and on what Windows platform? Have you upgraded your .NET as I believe 12.2 requires .NET 4.6.2 whilst 12.1 only required .NET 4.5. Sadly the offline installer does NOT include that package it tries to download it, which might explain the prompt for connectivity. If you can upgrade .NET first and then try again and see what happens.

As for the installer detecting additional modules, it would be a good idea to check your installed applications to ensure there are no residual trial or evaluation modules that need to be uninstalled prior to upgrading. Or if you are keeping them we need to make sure they are all running a version that the offline installer is capable of jumping up to the latest.

Regards

David

tony.serpa

Good Morning David,

Feedback provided:

Q: What version of software are you currently running and on what Windows platform?

A: The OS version is Windows Server 2012R2 and the following information is from the license details:

Top of Form

Main Orion Server Details

Orion

Module Name

Orion Platform

Version

Service Pack

None

Nodes currently monitored

Total nodes in license

unlimited

Volumes currently monitored

Total volumes in license

unlimited

NCM

Product Name

Network Configuration Manager

Version

Service Pack

None

License

Production

Allowed number of nodes

Current number of nodes

NPM

License

Production

Product Name

Network Performance Monitor

Version

Service Pack

None

Current number of interfaces

Allowed number of interfaces

unlimited

IVIM

License

Evaluation Expired

Product Name

Integrated Virtual Infrastructure Monitor

Version

Service Pack

None

Allowed number of sockets

License Type

Unknown

UDT

Module Name

User Device Tracker

Version

Service Pack

None

License

Production

Allowed number of monitored ports

Current number of monitored ports

NetPath

Module Name

NetPath

Version

Service Pack

None

Bottom of Form

Q: Have you upgraded your .NET as I believe 12.2 requires .NET 4.6.2 whilst 12.1 only required .NET 4.5.

A: During my first attempt at the latest offline installer, it did in fact mention this and appeared to install 4.6.2 (which I though was already on it per STIG). However, I will verify/re-install and re-attempt then reply here with the results.

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

System Operations; Server Team; Systems Administrator

USAICoE CIO/G6 Contractor

☎ 520-533-8699

michael.a.serpa.ctr@mail.mil

michael.a.serpa.ctr@mail.smil.mil

tony.serpa

David,

Yes, 4.6.2 was already installed. A reinstallation resulted in the same

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

☎ 520-533-8699

prawij

Seeing the same thing here, it's very annoying not being able to download the individual hot fixes for example for SRM 6.5 HF1 when the "offline" jumbo sized patcher can't actually function without an online connection.

More specifically - why does the offline package that was downloaded this morning need to update itself? We are already at NPM 12.2 so our .Net is already up to the required version.

Hit SKIP:

David Smith

Hi Tony,

If I am reading your reply correctly your existing environment is running NPM 12.0 which according to the Product Upgrade Advisor would require you to jump to 12.0.1 before you could jump to 12.2. could it be that the offline installer is trying to get the download file to take you that step? I would suggest you need to download the older 12.0.1 installer first and run that to bring your system upto 12.0.1 which I think is the minimum for the 12.2 offline installers.

Regards

David

tony.serpa

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback and yes that has been my theory since the beginning as well. However, I discovered it as 12.0>12.1>12.2. which actually negates the "all-in-one" installer and supposedly not needing PUA anymore in my opinion. I downloaded these legacy products yesterday (all 4 GB of it) and hope to proceed today. I suggest making this more apparent to solarwinds users in the installer, not buried anywhere to minimize support incident engagements for SW staff.

Anwyho, I'll update later....I'm off to crash the server, wish me luck!

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

☎ 520-533-8699

rschroeder

Depending on who you work with in SW Support, I feel there is hope.  I had an stunningly successful experience this week through the kind help of serena, who provided access to a new updater that has not yet been published.  We both learned some good things about the update/installation, she took away notes for corrections, I took away five pollers, that had become problematic after upgrades, and that now are working MUCH better.

Don't give up yet.  I feel something very helpful should be on the horizon for your situation.

Swift Packets!

Rick Schroeder

stevenstadel

I had the same issue on the day they released HF 4 for Core. After a few hours with support they confirmed that the Offline update was not updated yet. Left between a rock and a hard place we put in an emergency change to allow internet access to the APEs.

There were two takeaways I had for support and communicated this to the rep on the phone and with the ticket survey.

1. Under no circumstances should the online update not match the offline update. This was not acceptable for an enterprise product. Release it as a buddy drop instead of having it public.

2. The Hotfix 4 was not listed in the success center or my customer portal. The update was completely unexpected, we need to know what exactly is being updated for our change control process before executing the change.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          tony.serpa

Thanks Brutha Rick! I sure will.

prawij

Just got a call from support - the new offline installer package is available on the portal.....

tony.serpa

Thanks Prawij,

Should it be dated sept? this is what I see on the download.

Also I am now understanding that I need to install NPM 12.1 then NCM 7.5.1 prior to using this installer...does the new installer have all legacy software AND//OR provide you with a PUA report?

Orion Network Performance Monitor(NPM) for Offline Installation - The offline installer includes everything you need to install all SolarWinds Orion products

Latest version: 12.2.0 - New Installer   12.2.0 - New Installer  13 SEP 2017

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

☎ 520-533-8699

rschroeder

I'll defer to serena and her peers, but the Upgrade Installations should ALWAYS include the prerequisites and caveats and intermediate steps if the Updater can't upgraded everything to the latest versions.

In my case I started at 12.0.1, then jumped straight to 12.2 without much trouble.  It was only after I was at 12.2 and had added new modules, each with different stand-alone hotfixes, and more APE's, and had thrown in NAM licensing on top of it all, that I got off track.

The new updater has fixed all of that, and it seems like strange and wonderful magic.  Kudos to Serena and SW!

tony.serpa

Thanks for the information Rick. I suppose I'll see after I download the 2.8GB again. Like I said what I see on the portal appears exactly the same. But I guess it's not since they just said it today

tony.serpa

...my situation may be more unique because ALL my servers are not internet accessible and I have to get FULL installation packages every time

rschroeder

Yes, THAT is an obstacle SW must overcome with their stand-alone Updater package.  Here's hoping serena will put the bug in their Developers' ear that the Updaters / Installers should all include information about their versions, so it's easy to understand whether you can get what you need from any package, or if you must wait for a new offline installer.

I'd love to be able to assume that no hotfix or updater or installer would be released for an individual product or package without simultaneously having its identical offline install released at the same time.

rschroeder

("Simultaneously" and "at the same time" are brought to you by the Department for Redundancy Department)

tony.serpa

you would think that offline meant offlline (again from your dept of redundancy)

tony.serpa

OK...so at first I was told "wait you need to upgrade 12.0>12.1.0 then NCM7.4.1>7.5.1>7.7.3" so OK I start downloaded gigs and gigs from my crappy bandwidth machine at work...then it was no you need 12.0.1 then 12.1.0, ok downloading again...and so on, and so on, and so on... Now I am at NCM7.4.1>7.5.0>NPM12.0>12.0.1>NCM7.5.1>NPM12.1.0>NPM12.2>NCM7.7 this is a lot of trial and error downloading which is frustrating. considering their marketing like offline installer claims "all you need to install solarwinds products"...in any event, I guess I'll wait until tomorrow for the downloads again...this is all to ultimately get 12.2 to remediate a vulnerability...maybe they should simply send you dvd's (containing everything in your upgrade path) for offlline installs...sometimes technology overboard happens

serena

What does the 12.2 installer tell you when you run it? It should give you the manual upgrade path suggestion and the relevant downloads!

tony.serpa

Serena,

Thanks so much! Although I ended up doing my first upgrade using separately downloaded offline installer packages along my upgrade path, ultimately the latest installer package (file version 1.3.1.493) was successful "offline". it did not require and internet connection to continue the installation. O now plan to execute on another disconnected network using the new installer and experince the methodology you lay out (i.e upgrade path and software available via the installer package). I'll let you know the results here...anywho...

My upgrade path was:

1. NCM7.4.1>NCM7.5.0
                                                                  2. NPM12.0>NPM12.0.1
                                                                  3. NCM 7.5.0>NCM7.5.1
                                                                  4. NPM12.0.1>NPM12.1.0
                                                                  5. NPM12.1.0>NPM12.2, NCM7.5.1>NCM7.7, UDT3.2.2>UDT3.3.0 (the latest comprehensive installer)

to ultimately get to:

- Orion Platform 2017.3.4 SP4

- UDT 3.3.0

- NCM 7.7

- NPM 12.2

- VMAN 8.1.0

- NetPath 1.1.2

- QoE 2.4

- CloudMonitoring 1.1.0

Licensing seemed to port over OK and all web console configurations, functionality and data appear correct and updated OK.

Lastly, reconfigured the system for remediation of MSSQL STIG vulnerability ID  V-41036 successfully!...which was my main goal.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance and hope this helps others

Tony

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                      rschroeder

Congratulations, Tony, on a good job researching & upgrading.

Everyone should take note of your experience, and develop a plan to keep their systems current and up-to-date.  That way they'll avoid the problems you discovered (and conquered!) on your way to getting your systems to a version in which a specific vulnerability could be corrected.

tony.serpa

Thanks Rick,

appreciate it man. Yes, I absolutely agree with you suggestions in most corporate environments. However, in ours, CM is fairly strict in this environment and making baseline changes can sometimes be tough and feel like I'm dealing with dysfunctional federal government in DC (ok my opinion) . Overall, Yes keep your systems up to date and theoretically upgrades should be painless(er)

Tony

prawij

Hi Tony,

Sorry I was just talking about availability of the 2017.3 Offline hotfix installer package (for NPM 12.2 etc).

That won't work for you when you are at a lower version number.