This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interface Description on Nexus Leaves in ACI Mode

Hi There,

One of my customers is running a Nexus 9K fabrix in ACI mode. I recently went through and descriptions for all Leaf interfaces. I did this via the APICs as I want the interfaces in SolarWinds to update dynamically if any of the port descriptions change (saves having to do it on the switch and also in NPM). Once the switch was polled the descriptions started coming through in SolarWinds, but rather than showing the Interface number and description, it is showing the description twice e.g. rather than showing Ethernet0/1 - Description it is showing Description - Description. This means that the alerts coming through do not have the interface number in them, just the description (twice). This isn't what I want for troubleshooting.

Has anybody else experienced this or can anybody suggest a way of changing it (I know I can add the descriptions form SolarWinds, but I'd rather modify the switch and have it come through dynamically)? What I'd like to have for each interface is the interface number then the description e.g. Ethernet 1/42 - Firewall01 MGMT

Regards,

Felix 

• Interesting thing I have noticed after an unexpected leaf switch reboot on the weekend - the descriptions are now OK on the leaves that rebooted, but sill doubled up on the leaves that are yet to reboot.

Hopefully this will come up if anyone else is searching for this in the future. Not ideal to have your data centre leaf switches reboot, but if it does happen it will fix up your switch interface descriptions in SolarWinds emoticons_happy.png

Regards,

Felix