3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2018 12:58 PM by kange0010

Engineer's Toolset Questions

kange0010

Maybe I did not install it yet but where would my Toolset be in my Web Console if I did install it (This is for NPM 12.1)?  Also, based on the limited times I have to install this toolset, would it be best to install the toolset on the web console, PC, or laptop?  The only thing I can see for one being beneficial over the other is that the web console will always be available provided you can reach the internet.  The toolset installed on a laptop would be great if you have no access to the internet but need to do some troubleshooting within your network; you have the mobility of your toolset as oppose to the toolset being installed on a desktop workstation PC.  One last thing, If I purchased the toolset that gives me 8 installations for Desktop and 8 installations for Web, does that mean I have 16 installations total or I have 8 between the two?  I know these are a lot of questions but I want to make sure I make the most of this toolset.  Thank you in advance.

• Re: Engineer's Toolset Questions
          derik.pfeffer

kange0010,

Toolset comes in two flavors as you have mentioned Web and Desktop. Web is a stripped down version of the Desktop version that would allow you to assign basic functionality like ping, traceroute, and a few simple tools. The desktop version can also integrate to the Orion Console via permissions and configuration to all for a right-click functionality. My reommednation is to deploy the Web Module and assign to folks like HelpDesk members that need basic tools and deploy the desktop version to those that will need the more specific functionality offline or via the right-click from Orion Console.

Here is the web tools.

Best Regards,

Derik Pfeffer

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

LinkedIN: Loop1 Systems

Facebook: Loop1 Systems

Twitter: @Loop1Systems

• Re: Engineer's Toolset Questions
            kange0010

Found more answers:

Maybe I did not install it yet but where would my Toolset be in my Web Console if I did install it (This is for NPM 12.1)?

Users can use the web toolset BUT they must be assigned an available seat license.  I thought one license for the web console would grant access to all web console users but this is not the case.

Also, based on the limited times I have to install this toolset, would it be best to install the toolset on the web console, PC, or laptop?

derik above answered this question in much detail.  Thanks again derik!

One last thing, If I purchased the toolset that gives me 8 installations for Desktop and 8 installations for Web, does that mean I have 16 installations total or I have 8 between the two?

The answer is I have 8 between the two.  I acquired this answer from customer service.