5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 12:56 PM by cnorcross

SAM Component Variable

cmblackburn

Hey Guru's and SME's I've been trying to get the host name or caption to populate a Web Link monitor, by default it uses ${IP} and I'm trying to use the host name instead.  I've tried a bunch of different values, but haven't had much luck, anyone have the hidden combination?  Some I've tried:

${Caption}

${HostName}

${Node.Caption}

${Host}

• Re: SAM Component Variable
          Steven Hunt

Have you tired leveraging custom properties and ${Node.CustomPropertyName}?

cmblackburn

Hi Steven thanks for the response, I tried that and it doesn’t work either.

mesverrum

Inside the Component settings you typically have a very limited subset of available variables, i believe most of the components only allow for the ${ip} and ${port} variables, so you will be unable to set the component to work by hostname.  The closest you could do is set the node itself to use DHCP, then any changes to the ip that the name resolves to would propagate to the SAM components, I feel like there might be a lag time for those changes based on the discovery interval but you can shorten that interval for nodes where you need it.

cmblackburn

Hi mesverrum thanks for the response, yeah I think you are correct, I found some documentation, Component Monitor Types  and it seems that some of components include the variables needed and some don't have any documented at all.

I've seen this with other vendor software where there are too many dev teams because the product is so big and there isn't a standard in place or single point of review to make sure all components, in this case, has standard variables for node properties and custom properties at a minimum.