4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2017 1:05 PM by lupei423

SUSE Linux Monitoring

lupei423

Happy Holiday folks,

My Linux web server ran outta space causing an outage.  We weren't alerted of space issues because only had connectivity monitoring setup.  We don't have SAM, we only have NPM, NCM & NTA.  Am I correct that I'll need to get management to fork over some $$ & purchase SAM or is there anyway to monitor this with what we have?

Thanks

• Re: SUSE Linux Monitoring
          Leon Adato

With NPM you can monitor node availability (ie: ping), as well as interface and disk up/down, RAM utilization, CPU utilization, bandwidth utilization, disk space availability (fixed, NFS, etc), disk IO (depending on the disk and the polling method) and even physical chassis elements like fan, temperature, RAM module, and RAID array statuses (for the major vendors like SIM, OpenManage, and IBM).

So you SHOULD be set. How are you monitoring your SUSE nodes? (ie: ping-only, SNMP, etc)?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              aLTeReGo

even physical chassis elements like fan, temperature, RAM module, and RAID array statuses (for the major vendors like SIM, OpenManage, and IBM).

Server Hardware Health is a function of SAM, whereas network device Hardware Health is a function of NPM. So if you do not own SAM, you will not be able to monitor the hardware health of your physical servers or virtual hosts.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              lupei423

Sorry for the delayed response, my laptop died & took few days to get myself fully up & running on a spare until my device gets repaired    

Thank you both for the info, I'm still a newbie!!   I was successfully able to setup monitoring for my SUSE & CentOS volumes with my current setup, boss man is happy!!   Thanks again & Happy New Year to all!!!