This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Required field on Resolved

Is it possible to either edit the code or add a rule to make Custom Fields required only when you go to Resolve the ticket? If you make them required, Help Desk users have to have it already filled out in order to save a new ticket. We use the Custom fields as what the solution/fix was, so we don't need to have it filled/required till it goes to Resolved. Is there a way to just put a quick If status eq Resolved, Custom field is required. Maybe even somehow create a Rule to re-open the ticket if it's Resolved without the Custom field filled out?

• You should be able to do this with an action rule.  We have a list of root causes and I have a rule setup to say if the status is changed to 'resolved' and the root cause is blank then change the status to 'awaiting root cause'

• So you have a custom field called Root Cause? Is this a multiple choice field or a text field? I tried setting up a multiple choice Root Cause with a couple of options like Windows Updates and Re-image, but then when I go to the Action Rule, it only allows me to to set the logic to "is". So I can only set it to if it is Windows Updates, reopen. Would I would have to make a Blank option and have the HelpDesk check that box in the beginning? I don't think I can set that field as checked on open unless I can with another Action Rule emoticons_silly.png

• Its a popup menu field.  All options use a semicolon as a seperator, so if you put one at the front of the list it gives you a blank option.

e.g. If you create a list  ;;Power Failure;Customer Issue;Router Failure.  (note the 2 semi colons at the beginning) It will display a blank as the first option.  In your action rule, it will allow you to select it as the 'is' option.

• I haven't tried it, but when creating a Custom Field, you can set the field to be editable by Clients, but Required by Techs. Wouldn't that do what you want?

• The issue with this, is that when our Tech enter tickets, or our Help Desk techs, it requires them to select an option just to save/open the new ticket. We don't need a solution/root cause till it's set to resolved.

• This seems the best option in testing real quick. Thanks for the help! We were previously using multiple choice, so the only downside is that we won't be able to select multiple options, but at least we can make them select something. Thanks for the help

• Is this true if they enter tickets as a client (switch to client mode at the top right)?

I haven't tried, so I don't know, but toggling between client/tech mode is quick and simple.

• Instead of doing the blank option that @rickstevens mentioned, you can make the field appear only when the status is set to Resolved.

When you create the custom field, don't assign it to any request types.

resolution.PNG

Then go to Status Types and edit the Resolved status under the "Additional Activated Custom Fields" section. Then you can select your Resolution custom field.

resolved.PNG

Then the field will appear when you select the status of Resolved in a ticket. You can also set it as required in the custom field settings, and it will not be required until you set the status as resolved and save the ticket.

• After further testing, this seems the best answer. You then don't have to make any rules. Thanks so much for the tip!

• I have started configuring our Helpdesk solution to match our custom requirements, however I seem to stuck on one issue.

Within "Ticket Details" I would like to make the "Work Time" & "Billable" text boxes a mandatory requirement .

We are running version 12.5.1

Does anyone have any advice?