2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 9:46 AM by anitazuri

Large number of 'Unknown' devices in NPM

anitazuri

Hello,

I've built two new physical servers and have installed NPM ver 12.2 on to one of them.  After Discovering approximately 150 devices 43 are showing as 'Unknown'.

In our current (soon to be decommissioned) Solarwinds system we have 12 that are 'Unknown'.

I exported all IPs from our old system so thought that the amount of 'Unknowns' should be similar; so I'm wondering that why I have such a high amount of 'Unknowns' in the new system.

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be grateful.

• Re: Large number of 'Unknown' devices in NPM
          tony.johnson

Hello,

A device will be unknown if you are only able to monitor it using ICMP alone. SNMP/WMI is required to identify the device. Make sure the discovery profile has all the required community strings and windows credentials and that any access-lists in place are allowing SNMP from these new servers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Large number of 'Unknown' devices in NPM
              anitazuri

Thank you Tony, that makes sense, I'm learning as I'm going along here. Really appreciate your response.

I have found a few VMs that were missed by the GPO, so I've added the details into the SNMP Service, done another rediscover & Poll and they have now moved into the VMware category.  I still have quite a lot outstanding so I guess I need to just work through them.