4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 8:24 AM by jaminsql

Event history of Availability group failover

johannesk

Hi,

I'm running DPA 11.1.457 and that versions add some added support for Availability groups in SQL server.

I was wandering if I could see within DPA some annotations on AG failover. I can see in Resources if a vm vmotion's beteween hosts. But can I somewhere see if the SQL server becomes active on another node in the availability group?

regards,

Johannes

• Re: Event history of Availability group failover
          mandevil

In my Trend view, see the auto-annotation of when a failover occurs for your AGs.

You'll see a similar notation within your environment. You can also set up an alert to notify you when a failover happens.

Then you can also look at alert history to see when those events occurred.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              johannesk

Thanks Mandevil. That's exactly what I was looking for. Really good to know.

johannesk

I'd like to add since I just discovered something related to this question of mine.

options - administrations,

there under diskplay, go to annotations

Choose the database instance, and get a list of all anntations in a table for that instance, including the AG failover annotaions.

jaminsql

Good find. Just to provide a few more items for others that might read the thread on this one.

Annotations will be created automatically for the following cases:

• Listener Failover
                      • Monitoring the listening and an AG role changes and the primary replica changed
                      • Monitoring an instance and an AG role changes and the primary replica changed

The user can disable this feature by setting the optional parameter AG_EVENT_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED to false.This is in Options -> administration tab -> Advanced options -> in system options tab for global and in DB instance options if you want it off in only one instance.

events will be stored in the CON_ALERTABLE_EVENT table with the "DETAIL" column containing JSON data about the event.  This table by default will keep 30 days of history which will be configurable by "CLEAN_DAYS_OF_CON_ALERTABLE_EVENT" parameter.

Example JSON of a AG Status Change event:

[

{"name": "ag_id", "value": "3CD9A1F0-3D76-46CC-9FB4-44A3194D28F6"},      

{"name": "ag_name", "value": "MusicDB"},     

{"name": "primary_replica ", "value": "John\Lennon"},      

{"name": "old_status", "value": "NOT_HEALTHY"},      

{"name": "new_status", "value": "PARTIALLY_HEALTHY"}

]