21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 10:21 AM by Andrew LaGrone

Time out errors when downloading APE updates

rschroeder

A couple of my sites have greater distance and latency involved when their APE's need to get Polling Engine updates from my main NPM instance during hot fix / patch episodes.

They regularly give me this error:

If I let these servers just sit without clicking Yes or No, I can see the progress bar in the background continue moving to the right until the download is complete, and it appears all I need do is click "Next.  But that's not possible while the previous dialog box is unanswered, and I can't click X on it to remove it.

If I click No, the process ends and I have to start all over again.

If I wait until the back progress bar makes it all the way to the right, and then the Solarwinds Orion Compatibility Check Summary window (above) appears, then I can click Yes, and the front dialog box closes I can click "Next" and move through the patch/upgrade.

It seems as if that initial window about the Downloading Process being interrupted is caused by some arbitrary timer that expires.

1.  Do you ever experience this?

2.  Is there something I can do to prevent this?  The download is not truly interrupted.

3.  Can we get this corrected/repaired/fixed?

• Re: Time out errors when downloading APE updates
          rharland2012

I've never had that happen - strange. Out of curiosity, can you comment on the approximate latency these problem sites have to the download source?

rschroeder

The distance APE responds in 11 ms.  The middle one responds in 5 ms.  Both have gig WAN connectivity to my MPLS cloud.

The rest of the AP's all respond in submillisecond; they are local to my main data centers, living in UCS chasses with 40 GB connectivity to the network.

serena

1.3.0.484 version of the installer has a new download mechanism, and shouldn't run into this issue.

rschroeder

That sounds promising.  Should I give that a try, towards getting my UDT versions back in sync?  I wasn't aware of installer version incremental ID's.  Does one pick & choose which Installer version they use, or is that version simply the current one?

serena

Ideally you'll always be running the latest version of the installer. The only situations where you might not be is if you're using the offline installer for hotfixes or for product. Then you might have a download that occurred before we repacked with a new version.

rschroeder

That makes sense. 

How about the NAM-licensed packages & their updaters & installers?  From our conversation yesterday, it's apparent NAM doesn't get updated/fixed/repackaged at the same time as "non-NAM" licensed products.  Hopefully there'll be an announcement that lets us know which installers & packages we should watch for, where to find them, when they're released and "solid/reliable", and the version history of each.

Ensuring that accurate Release Notes and Upgrade Instructions show up as soon as the new version or updater or package is released--to save us "challenges" and to reduce Support Tickets for your experts.

Thanks so much for your help yesterday, Serena!  I REALLY like the new solution, and only wish it had been available in early October.  It would have saved me three months of headaches.  But "Better late than never!"

Have a wonderful day!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  serena

rschroeder  wrote:

That makes sense. 

How about the NAM-licensed packages & their updaters & installers?  From our conversation yesterday, it's apparent NAM doesn't get updated/fixed/repackaged at the same time as "non-NAM" licensed products.  Hopefully there'll be an announcement that lets us know which installers & packages we should watch for, where to find them, when they're released and "solid/reliable", and the version history of each.

Ensuring that accurate Release Notes and Upgrade Instructions show up as soon as the new version or updater or package is released--to save us "challenges" and to reduce Support Tickets for your experts.

Thanks so much for your help yesterday, Serena!  I REALLY like the new solution, and only wish it had been available in early October.  It would have saved me three months of headaches.  But "Better late than never!"

Have a wonderful day!

NAM installation flow is going to be getting some love Rick, so I would like to follow up with you after these changes to see it they were what you expected>

Andrew LaGrone

This has happened to me at one of our sites where we are doing some funky networking juju that I don't approve of. I'm glad to hear the upgraded package is better. I'm having to rebuild one of the pollers today that keeps konking out. Upgrading to the latest very, very soon.

bmallon

I've experienced this very thing multiple times. My additional poller is on the other coast connected via MPLS. Every time I upgrade one of my biggest hurdles is getting my additional poller out there to actually update. I was even on a support call with a SW agent dealing with an upgrade and he understood the issue, but couldn't do anything about it.

It would be a HUGE help to have this issue resolved. Could we turn this into a bug fix / feature request? (To us it's a bug. To the developers it will be considered a feature)

serena

bmallon  wrote:

I've experienced this very thing multiple times. My additional poller is on the other coast connected via MPLS. Every time I upgrade one of my biggest hurdles is getting my additional poller out there to actually update. I was even on a support call with a SW agent dealing with an upgrade and he understood the issue, but couldn't do anything about it.

It would be a HUGE help to have this issue resolved. Could we turn this into a bug fix / feature request? (To us it's a bug. To the developers it will be considered a feature)

You're absolutely right that this should get turned into a feature request. Please submit one here Network Performance Monitor Feature Requests  so other folks can jump on it and add their voices to help shape the request.

ecklerwr1

I'm actually considering scrapping my EOC and two primary pollers and just stacking pollers on one IP... I still haven't decided yet.  I have one primary poller in AZ with two APE and additional webserver, and another primary in VA with and extra APE.  EOC is finally improving but now with stacked pollers I'm considering scrapping all this EOC stuff so all my management is in one system.

Anyone tried stacking pollers?