3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 11:58 AM by rharland2012

How to Change an Unknown Node (PC) to a Known Node that is not on a Domain?

kange0010

Is there a way to change an "unknown" node to known?  Specifically I have a PC (not on a domain) that comes up on NPM as unknown with the machine's name after being discovered.  From the video "Adding Nodes Manually - Video - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support ," I learned that if the PC is on a domain I can use the polling method WMI and input credentials but another question arises, what is "Credential name?"  In the video, the Credential name was "admin" while his username was ctlabs\kenny.newbry (around the 1:53 minute mark of video).  Is the Credential name always admin?  I mean the username suggests nothing of the sort.  What if the user was not an admin, would the Credential name be "User?"  I am confused with this one.  I am not sure why a Credential name is even needed, shouldn't it be optional instead?  Please advise. 

• Re: How to Change an Unknown Node (PC) to a Known Node that is not on a Domain?
          rharland2012

If the node is ICMP only, then no credential.

If you want to capture identifying information about the PC via WMI, you're going to need some credentials. Even if the PC isn't on a domain, you can use COMPUTERNAME\username (where 'username' is a valid defined user on the PC) as your credential and should have success as long as that user has the appropriate access on the PC.

• Re: How to Change an Unknown Node (PC) to a Known Node that is not on a Domain?
              kange0010

hi rharland2012,

In the edit node section for the polling method, i did what you stated but it still doesn't work.  I input the credentials and click "test" and it fails. 

COMPUTERNAME\username

password

Doesn't work for both users.  One is admin and the other is a regular account.  For "Credential Name" I tried "Administrator," "User," and "Local Account," but no luck.  Any other pointers?  I am double checking my computer name, user name, and password and I am not fat fingering anything.  In User Accounts of the PC when I pull up the user accounts, it shows the 2 users which are 1 is admin, 1 is not, and both are local accounts with password protection. 

rharland2012

Here's where I would start.

First, define whether or not any firewall policies are in play between the poller and the computer you're trying to add. If there are, you'll need to allow the appropriate communication between the two. Based on your original message, it sounds as if ICMP is allowed - but that doesn't mean that all traffic currently is making it. For example, are you able to RDP to the computer using the credentials? If not, it doesn't mean you have the credentials wrong - it could just be that 3389 isn't allowed through the firewall.

This KB's specifically about SAM, but does a good job of enumerating ports required:

SAM port requirements

Second, what is the OS flavor of the computer you're attempting to poll? Home variants of any of the Windows OSes can require a little extra work to expose WMI.