1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 10:49 AM by mesverrum

Netflow - output changed

lagcat

Hi All

I am not sure at what point in the updates this has happened but our netflow output from Cisco switches/routers has change from a smooth output to what looks like a 15/30min average on a interfaces

for example a 2mb mpls like used to show a clear 40% usage with the breakdown on applications but not it shows in some 15min sections 6-20mb usage which is impossible for the interface/bandwidth ... also each 15minutes it seems to give a 0 reading

I will attached pictures to explain as I think I am making no sense - it will show good and bad outputs so you can understand what I mean

but it used to look good - if we had a 2mb site we would never see the traffic go about 80% due to QoS setting for EF

now we are just seeing massive spikes rather than something that is helpful to work out usage between hours

any suggestions? I can only put it down to an update as the netflow settings are not something we change and the routers for these are site managed and cost us for changes so we know nothing has changed

• Re: Netflow - output changed
          mesverrum

Most likely there is an issue with the netflow timout settings on your router.  For Cisco gear there are typically two values to keep an eye on, the active timeout and the inactive.  inactive is measured in seconds, active is in minutes, but in either case you want them sending data at least once a minute to keep the flow data smooth.  See this example config

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description link to PIX

ip address 10.3.1.2 255.255.255.252

ip route-cache flow

!

ip flow-export source GigabitEthernet0/1

ip flow-export version 5

ip flow-export destination 1.2.0.12 2055

ip flow-cache timeout active 1

ip flow-cache timeout inactive 60

snmp-server ifindex persist