This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How might I change UDT so switches' unmonitored ports are monitored?

I've been using UDT for a couple of months successfully, and I just discovered two sets of switches whose ports show "unmonitored" in UDT.

pastedImage_0.png

I'm uncertain how to change them to monitored, since I'd successfully added all my Cisco switches to UDT weeks ago.  Or is this somehow unnecessary?  No UDT information shows up in NPM's view of the Nodes.

NPM is already monitoring all of each switches' ports.

What's the trick to changing a nodes's ports to be monitored in UDT?

• I just found this tip: when I'm in "Port Management", I'm looking for the interfaces "Port is unmonitored." and I click on these interfaces, one by one.

Then I click on "monitor" in "Device Tracker Port Details"
    It's a long time ... but it works

• Settings> All Settings> UDT Settings> Manage Ports
    By choosing "Group" by "Vendor" or "Machine Type" and "Show: Ports".
    Just check the interfaces to monitor and press "MONITOR".

Very fast !

• Hmmm. 

pastedImage_0.png

It's not as nice as I'd like.  Plus, selecting All captures ports I don't want.

pastedImage_1.png

But this DOES appear to be a way to get the job done, after a lot of judicious filtering & thoughtful clicking and "not-clicking".

Thank you for the consideration.  I'm hoping for a more intuitive and graceful solution, since this one still seems rather random.

• This made me go look at my UDT install :-(

I have discovered I've a small random selection of over 450K ports are unmonitored... which explains why I was not finding things I thought I should be able to even with the lack of VRF polling.

I've no idea how to even begin fixing this -- I think the students would revolt if I asked them to point and click through thousands of pages of ports.

ok, some database queries... it turns out about 7% of my ports were not monitored that should have been -- something to look at tomorrow because it's been another 12 hour day

• I have noticed in my environment whenever I lose SNMP connectivity to a device when it comes back the ports show unmonitored. I would monitor all the ports again but they go unmonitored again whenever connectivity is lost and restored. I have had a support case opened on this for quite some time now and they cant find a root cause.

• Uff da!  That's REALLY unfortunate! 

Is there any chance you're not running the latest releases of Orion modules, or have not installed all the latest hotfixes / patches?

• Well, there we go.  I'm sorry to have enabled the situation where you discovered an issue, but at the same time I'm happy you found a problem and can start working to correct it.

Let me know what you learn.  Maybe the results of a Support case?

I don't want to take the easy path out and just select ALL interfaces--there are LOADS I don't want to monitor--many will never have link (e.g. TenG or Gi interfaces in SFP uplink modules that will never have a GBIC or fiber plugged into them, VLAN's that are not using L3 in an access switch, etc.).

• Yes I am running the latest releases of Orion modules that I have with the latest hotfixes/patches.

• In that case I recommend opening a new Solarwinds Support case to discover if this behavior is expected, or is something that can be corrected.

• Hi rschroeder,

If you know which devices you want to monitor for you can use the search field in the top right to narrow down which nodes are displayed then when you select all it only selects ports that are part of that selection. Or you can use Group By and pick a Custom Property to narrow down your selection choice:

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_6.png

My examples are not great as I don't have many switches in my lab environment. Hope this helps? Also worth bearing in mind that when you run Auto Discovery you can instruct the system which ports you want to be included for automatic selection.

Cheers

David