5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 3:35 PM by wluther

Backup config file how to save in the Harddrive

lmantonio

Hi,

I use the NPM version 12.2 unfortunately i got into an issue when the VM server was accidentally deleted, All data from the main server are gone, SQL server and NTA server are still up. We rebuild the new servers and I'm  suprised that Orion main server sync to the two servers easily. All operation back to normal,  except that the previous back up of the running config are no longer on the new hard drive, (remember it's all gone, after the VM server deleted) . However on the NPM console under the config list column I'm still seeing the last 200 backup of running configuration, it's way back more than a month of running config. I checked the NCM>NCM settings config Archive location but what I'm seeing on the console are not save on the server drive.

I wonder where are those files or is there anyway to save all the running config that I'm seeing on the console to the Archive folder on the hard drive?  Response will be very much appreciated. (BTW I have open ticket with TAC) 

• Re: Backup config file how to save in the Harddrive
          rschroeder

Solarwinds NCM keeps configuration, by default, in this location on every poller  C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\NCM\Config-Archive

Solarwinds recommends you NOT store archived files onboard Solarwinds servers, so the config files are not lost in case the server is down or deleted.

If you change the storage location manually, then refer to Admin > Settings > NCM Settings > Config Settings to see where you pointed the configurations to be saved, remembering this can be different for every APE and also for the Main Instance of NPM/NCM.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              lmantonio

That is helpful and I learn,  however my question was when I build a new server,  I saw on the console device>configuration. The running configuration records available contains to as much as 1 month old on it. I wonder where are those backup file resides, which server or drive?. if I check the  C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\NCM\Config-Archive which is the default for the newly built server there's nothing on it. I'm glad that I have a copy of more than 1 month records available on the console I wast just wondering which folder it is.

JaroslawLadyga

My suggestion is to recover backup of old server to any new location and then setup NCM archive to recovered destination.

wluther

lmantonio I think NCM stores XX number of configs in the database, as well as files in folders, and archive locations. There is a job in NCM that will export your configs, from the database, to a location of your choosing. There is also a job that will purge all configs after XX amount of time (default might be 1x month). Having that job scheduled, and running, helps keeps the database trimmed down a bit, but could be a bad thing too, if you have not previously ran the export job, or do not have "offsite" storage configured.

I would run the export job, which should copy XX number of the configs in the db to a folder/location. That should give you some files to look through.

You can check the following table in the database, NCM_ConfigArchive, and verify it matches what you are seeing elsewhere, on the web console.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  wluther

You can see where NCM store ALL config FILES, here: /Orion/NCM/Admin/Settings/ConfigArchiveFolders.aspx

Otherwise, if you are seeing configs on the nodes within SolarWinds, but not in the locations listed on the page above, they should be stored in your database.

1 of 1 people found this helpful