This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DEVICE TIME SYNC WITH NTP

I've done some searching through Thwack and found some questions, but very few answers.

So, I'm going to throw it out there to see if an answer has been derived yet from SolarWinds or the community.

Is there a way to check to see if a device, say a Cisco router, is out of synch with an NTP server?

We have some Sonoma Network Time Servers located throughout the various datacenters, but we want to be able to alert if a device gets out of synch with them.

Does anyone know if SolarWinds can do this?

• There are probably other ways to do it, possibly better ways, but the one that came to mind was to create a job within NCM that runs a command script like "show ntp status" and then you can filter the results based on the first line from that output. I used the RegEx pattern ^Clock is* for example. This would match:

hostname#show ntp status

Clock is synchronized, stratum 2, reference is 10.99.99.1

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Keith

• Poll this MIB:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/bsm/configuration/15-2mt/bsm-ntp4-mib.html

NTPv4 MIB

The Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4) MIB feature, which is based on RFC 5907, defines data objects that represent the current status of NTP entities. These data objects are accessed using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and are used to monitor and manage local NTP entities.

The data objects contain the following information about the NTP entities:

• Connectivity to the upstream NTP servers and to hardware reference clocks.
    • Product
    • Vendor
    • Version
    • ntpEntInfo
    • ntpEntStatus