2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 6:38 PM by mesverrum

Migrating NPM, NCM, and SAM to a new server: Do I need to migrate any certificates?

tigger2

I'm being nitpipcky about this but... the docs I'm finding are a little unclear

These official (and up to date? It says Oct 2016) docs about migrating don't talk about certificates at all UNLESS you're using SSL for the Orion website.  It references "SolarWinds products", not just NPM: Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with a new IP and hostname - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

It indicates "Use these instructions if you are migrating any of our SolarWinds products, including NPM, SAM, NCM, and NTA."

I happened to run across this doc that seems up to date ( no date on the page but the URL looks legit) , indicating that you need to migrate a "SolarWinds Job Scheduler Engine" cert for NCM: Move SolarWinds UDT to a new server - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

What bothers me is that this doesn't look like an NCM specific cert, but looks like something that might be shared among multiple SolarWinds products. If this were true, I would think the first link would have referenced migrating it.

It looks like you need to always migrate this cert as it relates to encrypted data/credentials.  I guess if you didn't migrate it then you would have to manually clean up the system and delete/re-enter and associate credentials?

I happened across this doc (March 2017) : Migrate certificates to a new server for SAM - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

It references moving a cert *if* you have agents...but the cert is specifically named for SAM so it seems reasonable, but once again, migration of product specific certs is not mentioned in the first link.

Is there actually a need (with recent versions of NPM/SAM/NCM) for migrating any certificates by hand if you move to a new server + IP?

My environment is: Orion Platform 2017.1.3 SP3, NCM 7.6,NPM 12.1, SAM 6.4.0