This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Account permissions required for VMAN recommendations

hi, hope anyone can help. im looking for information on what SLW Account permissions are required to use Recommendations as i cant find it anywhere in docs and support hasn't been able to answer that question emoticons_shocked.png .

In our environment most of the users have non-admin SLW account permissions. When i enable Recommendations under Account settings, user can see the initial recommendations page but when trying to open some of those recommendations getting error 403 Access denied.

pastedImage_1.png

• I just tested with a new base account and I'm not seeing the same thing:

When I created the base account, I received 403 from the Recommendations page just trying to click on the link for Recommendations from the My Dashboards menu.

When I edited the account and set to Allow under Recommendations I can now get to the page and when I click on a Recommendation I'm able to review it.

Are there other settings under Virtualization Infrastructure Monitoring that you may have disabled or any other permissions you have changed?  Have you tested in incognito mode (or the equivalent for your browser) to see if it's something other than a caching issue?

• What permissions have been configured under the IVIM settings in account management?

• The only thing I would add here: Recommendations settings are outside of "Virtual Infrastructure Monitor Settings", it's just another section further down that page. Kind of a easy to miss.

• Thank you all for replies. Well we have the correct setting under Recommendations part but still getting the error.

its actually even more weird now as now we have users in the same access group/ same access profile - some get the error and some dont

Assuming that its something wrong with our fairly new installation - going to log ticket with SLW.

• So finally got an answer to my problem.

According to SLW support and per my testing - Recommendations feature doesnt work if you use Groups to assign Solarwinds permissions. It works only with individual user accounts.

Thats again big blow into rolling out this feature in our company as we have large teams managing environment and group permission assignment is the only way to manage it ( anyway industry best practice to use groups rather individual accounts ) . Its always great to see big SLW marketing stuff introducing new features but then  such fundamentals are completely missed emoticons_sad.png

Sometimes i wonder if SLW is product just for small and mid size business ONLY  emoticons_sad.png

• Hi Marek! Thanks for posting this. I followed up with my team, and this is indeed as you described a bug that was discovered and is being tracked under internal ticket VIM-3008

• Hello mtalas,

I have had the same problem for a few weeks now but just got around to looking into it. I agree that this is a larger promblem with the permissions and group settings. Thanks for posting this!

• serena  wrote:

Hi Marek! Thanks for posting this. I followed up with my team, and this is indeed as you described a bug that was discovered and is being tracked under internal ticket VIM-3008

This ticket was fixed in VMAN 8.2 Virtualization Manager 8.2 Release Notes - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support