3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 6:57 PM by mesverrum

AppInsight for SQL

sotnelk

Hi There,

I am new to Solar Winds so i do apologize I get don't terminology correct.  I come from a software development background so if again, my apologies.

So my client is using AppInsight for SQL Server and they are deployed on several nodes.  Some of the nodes are development nodes and the a lot of the SAM can be disabled from there thus bringing the licensing down to within acceptable limits.

Exact Error im getting in the Events Log in Orion is

Component "Buffer Cache Hit Ratio" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "SQL Server Events" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "Top Expensive Queries" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "SQL Agent Job Info" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "Top Active Sessions with Statistics" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "All Databases" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "Recompilations/Compilation" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Component "Target - Total Server Memory" for application "MYAPP" on node "Server XXXXX" is not licensed 

Can an application template be applied to a node with specific monitors activated or is it just something that once its selected its all turned on and needs to be manually turned off one by one

Thanks.

• Re: AppInsight for SQL
          mesverrum

If you apply a template it will inherit whatever components are in that template, including their enabled status.  There are a lot of approaches people take to SAM templates, you could clone the prod template and disable the components you don't need and make that into a "non-prod" version of the template, or you could go server by server disabling any components you don't need.  Just have to figure out for yourself the right balance between having many slightly different templates or using one main template and making one off changes to particular servers.

hpstech

You cannot make copies of AppInsight templates.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  mesverrum

Ah true,  I missed that in the initial post that he was using appinsight.  In that case the license cost is a flat value and if the dev boxes don't warrant burning 50 licenses you will just want to remove the template from those nodes.   You can get some of the same metrics by using the older sql 2008 templates and components can be disabled from those templates, but obviously you get more info from the appinsight versions.