This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

USB ID Questions

Hi Team...a couple questions:

- I noticed when inputting some USB ID's into the Authorized group that the ID's seemingly have a consistent "VID" and "PID" (examples below)...is this by design? Will there always be designated ID's with "VID" and "PID"?

USB\VID_ABC123&PID_ABC123

USB\VID_123ABC&PID_123ABC

Also...will the ID's ever change? For example, if I switch the USB from one device to another, will the ID# change?

Thanks for your help.

• As I understand it, the VID is provided to a USB manufacturer from the USB Implementers Forum:  USB.org - About USB-IF

The PID is set by the vendor.  Similar function as to a MAC address for networking devices.

There are some instances where I've seen a port number would be affixed to the end of the device, something like USB\VID_123ABC&PID_123ABC%02 for your example, but if you have set your device IDs with wildcards that should cover it.

I'm not aware of any instance where the ID would change without you trying to modify it (I imagine it can be adjusted just like a MAC address could be in some applications).