This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Aside from our basic monitoring I have a team that wants to be notified only if a specific server runs out of disk space

We monitor most of the servers on our network with Solarwinds and the Server teams receives alerts. I have another team that wants me to create and email distribution group with their address and have Solarwinds send an alert ONLY when one specific server has low disk space. I found the server under Manage Nodes. I see where I ADD NEW ALERT, but where I can specify this ALERT only goes to a particular team and it is only triggered if the C or D drive becomes more than 80% full? thanks

• A couple of quick answers, along with pointers to more info:

1. If this is truly a one-off and it won't happen again for another group, then you should probably just clone your existing disk alert and change the parameters.
    2. It's NEVER just a one off and it WILL happen again.
    3. So go into the node manager and view volumes. Add a few custom properties
      1. email_team (text field)
      2. warn_thresh (integer field)
      3. alert_thresh (integer field)
    4. Ask your email admin to create the actual group account so that THEY can manage who gets the emails. Otherwise you will forever be stuck adding/removing people from that custom property in SolarWinds
    5. Find the C and D drive for the server in question, and add the group email into the "email_team" field
    6. Put 80 in the alert_thresh for both drives

Now, create an alert with the following logic:

IF email_Team is NOT blank

AND disk Util % >= field alert_thresh

that's your trigger.

Set up your actions - which should include an email notification AND you can use the email_team variable in the "TO:" field of the email.

That should get you started. Here's an episode of SolarWinds lab were we dig into some of the specifics of alert design.

All About Alerts - SolarWinds Lab #42 - YouTube

• Leon is 1000% right on this it will never be a one off. it will become the standard:)