7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 9:52 AM by jeilers

Help with Alert "advanced" query - simple query.

pseudocyber

I'm working on an alert for the routing protocol neighbor down.  The alert variables provide the node ID with the problem, ${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID} - but not the name or the caption.  Could someone help me with the "Define SQL/SWQL Variable (Advanced) to find the name and/or caption of the node with the problem?

Thanks!

• Re: Help with Alert "advanced" query - simple query.
          jeilers

I'm not sure if this is helpful but it sounds to me like you are wanting the node name in the message?

I opened up one of the messages and looked at what I have to pull from.

Let me know if this is on the right track?

pseudocyber

Thanks jeilers .  The alert is for a router with a routing protocol neighbor problem between routers A and B.  The Caption(node) gives me the name of router A.  I'm looking for the name of router B.  The ${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID} gives me the node id of the neighbor router B, but not the name or caption.  So, if I have the node ID, I'm looking for some kind of query that will give me the name or caption, of the neighbor B, knowing the neighbor's nodeID.

jeilers

That makes sense. If that is the case then I think this should do the trick for you.(Your table names might be different at the from part but I think this should get you what you are looking for.)

${SQL: SELECT

[Caption]

FROM [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Nodes]

where nodeid=${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID}}

Go the alert message click on insert variable

Step 1

Step 2 click on Define SQL/SWQL

Step 3 put in the query I pasted above and you might have what you need.

pseudocyber

Thanks! When I try to paste in your text, I get an error: "Only Select statements are allowed as SQL/SWQL macros."

If I modify your text to read, SELECT [Caption] FROM [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Nodes] where nodeid=${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID}}

Solarwinds replaces it all with ${SQL: SELECT [Caption] FROM [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Nodes] where nodeid=${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID}}

However, this results with an error:  "MACRO SQL ERROR - Invalid object name 'NetPerfMon.dbo.Nodes'"

jeilers

Yeah that is correct in the message for solarwinds to have it as ${SQL: SELECT [Caption] FROM [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Nodes] where nodeid=${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID}}

That ${SQL: *The Actual Query*}  is how it knows you are wanting to do an sql query.

For your table I am going to guess that the NetPerfMon is the issue. An easy way to find out is going in to "All Settings" -> "Database Details" and replacing NetPerfMon with what ever you have as the catalog.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        pseudocyber

@jeilers - That NAILED it! 

This is a routing protocol alert.  Routing protocols maintain "neighbor relationships". The neighbor peering should be up, but may have a problem.

The node with the problem is, <b>${N=SwisEntity;M=Router.Nodes.DisplayName}</b> located at ${N=SwisEntity;M=Router.Nodes.Location}.

It is a ${N=SwisEntity;M=Router.Nodes.HardwareHealthInfos.ParentObjectVendor} ${N=SwisEntity;M=Router.Nodes.HardwareHealthInfos.Model}.

Node comment:  ${N=SwisEntity;M=Router.Nodes.CustomProperties.NODECOMMENT}

Node, <b>${N=SwisEntity;M=Router.Nodes.Caption}</b>, has a routing problem with its <b>${N=SwisEntity;M=ProtocolName}</b> protocol.

The protocol status is:  ${N=SwisEntity;M=ProtocolOrionStatus} - ${N=SwisEntity;M=ProtocolStatusDescription}

Link to the down neighbor:  https://orion/Orion/NetPerfMon/NodeDetails.aspx?NetObject=N:${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID}

Problem on neighbor:  ${SQL: SELECT [Caption] FROM [SolarWindsOrion].[dbo].[Nodes] where nodeid=${N=SwisEntity;M=NeighborID}}

==========================

This is a routing protocol alert. Routing protocols maintain "neighbor relationships". The neighbor peering should be up, but may have a problem.

The node with the problem is, ROTUERA located at 1234 MAIN ST, ANYTOWN, USA.

It is a Cisco ASR1001-X.

Node comment: This is the WAN router. If it is down, traffic to SITE2 and SITE3 will be impacted. SITE3 will be down. Fix ASAP.

Node, ROUTERA, has a routing problem with its Cisco EIGRP protocol.

The protocol status is: 1 - Established

Link to the down neighbor: https://orion/Orion/NetPerfMon/NodeDetails.aspx?NetObject=N:23

Problem on neighbor: ROUTERB